Lump in throat may be an existing disease or a mere feeling. It is something which most humans go through at least once in their life. If it is a feeling, then it must be associated with neurological or psychological disorders. If it is not a mere feeling, then it might be indicative of inflammation of the throat or the presence of something ominous – possibly esophageal or throat cancer.
This disease affects women more than that of men. Women aged between 30 and 40 years are at higher risk of contracting this disease.
Symptoms Of Lump In Throat
Like any other disease, lump in throat is accompanied with some marked symptoms. They include:
- Throat or neck pain.
- Swelling around the throat.
- Pain or difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia).
- Tendency to regurgitate food.
- A palpable mass
- Weight loss
What Causes A Feeling Of Lump In Throat?
Doctors have not yet been able to know the reason behind the lump in throat feeling. One school of thought ascribes it to increased muscle tension in muscles of the throat. Some also believe that it might be fallout of gastroesophageal reflux.
The sensation is also associated with emotions, such as grief or pride. If lump in throat is just a feeling, it can be treated as a harmless disease with no major long term complications.
However, lump in throat can also be related to certain more serious disorders. These include disorders like upper esophageal spasm and esophageal webs. If the affliction is serious, then it might be because of a tumor in the neck.
Other possible causes include anxiety and depression, hysteria, psychological disease, virus and bacteria presence, Schizophrenia etc.
Home Remedies For Lump In Throat Feeling
- Change Diet: Avoid taking food which is rich in fat and is spicy.
- Breathing Exercise: Breathing can reduce anxiety levels and also prevent acid from the stomach rise up to the food pipe.
- Milk Products & Vinegar: Consume these to fight down the after effects of acid reflux. You can also take two tablespoons of white vinegar with meals to reduce acidity levels. Likewise, having water with few cumin seeds added to it can reduce gas formation that may lead to a lump like feeling.
- Avoid Caffeine: These products are known to produce heartburns. So stay away strictly from them.
- Placing a warm cloth around the neck can reduce the sensation.
- Always sit with your neck straight and sleep keeping your neck elevated from the rest of your body.
As lump in throat can also be a very serious affliction, you should not rely only on these treatments to heal yourself. If the above mentioned remedies do not work for you, and instead if the affliction worsens, you should not waste time to meet a physician.