Accumulation of fluid in the ear can be associated with increased risk of developing an ear, throat or nose infection. The presence of fluid in the ear is also often associated with certain amount of discomfort and distress and can occasionally interfere with the ability of an individual to hear clearly.
There are several factors that may be responsible for accumulation of fluid in the ears. Often following a eardrum rupture, in an attempt to naturally heal the rupture, the eardrum produces certain oils or fluids which can result in collection of fluid within the eardrum.
How To Drain Ear Fluid At Home?
Ear fluid is often associated with tickling sensation in the ear, which can be associated with mild discomfort. This condition can often be associated with lower level of hearing and inability of a person to distinguish between high pitched sounds. Ear fluids are more frequently observed in children, though most conditions may not be associated with any form of symptoms.
Here are some simple tips that can be used for draining the ear fluid naturally at home,
- Firstly in order to drain fluid from the ear naturally, hold the head in such a position, that the affected ear points downwards. Repeatedly holding the position can help dislodge the fluid accumulated in the ear naturally.
- Use cotton tipped ear buds and insert them into the ear. The cotton buds will help soak up the fluid, which will help change the fluid balance in the ear and thereby aid in drainage of the rest of the fluid from the ear.
- Occasionally fluid inside the ear may be associated with a secondary infection. Check the color of the fluid, if it is clear and transparent there is nothing to worry, however a yellowish greenish fluid stained with blood can often be indicative of an infection. Consult the physician immediately, to treat the underlying infection.
Home Remedies To Remove Ear Fluid
Here are some simple home remedies that are considered beneficial in removing ear fluid, especially when the simple home based techniques to remove fluid naturally don’t work,
- Put a few drops of freshly crushed garlic juice in the ear. Though garlic has a unpleasant odor, it has strong anti-fungal and antibacterial properties, which can be beneficial in the treatment of an ear infection
- A few drops of olive oil mixed with a few drops of lobelia extract are considered to be beneficial in the management of ear problems. Apply them gently on the outer ear or simply use a dropper to put a few drops into the ear canal.
- Colloidal silver is considered to have strong anti bacterial properties. A few drops of colloidal silver can protect the ear from bacterial infection and help remove ear fluid.
- Other therapies include 1:1 mixture of alcohol and vinegar, which is considered to have a soothing effect on the ear and help get rid of bacterial infection.
- Local application of tea tree oil is also considered beneficial for the management of ear fluid.
- Hydrogen peroxide is also considered equally beneficial in treating ear fluid problems especially in cases of otitis media.