Clogging or blockage of the nose is often a common complaint which is associated with upper respiratory tract infection. Nose clogging can be a distressing condition which at times may result in inability to breathe through the nose. Often clogging of nose at night can result in spells of breathlessness or further result in sore throat due to breathing through the mouth.
Though not a serious condition, clogging of the nose can be attributed to a wide range of causes other than sinusitis and upper respiratory tract infection. Treatment depends upon the cause of clogged nose.
What Causes A Clogged Nose During Sleep?
Clogging or nasal blockage is often associated with sinusitis, a condition characterized by inflammation of the sinus located in the skull. Though sinusitis is attributed to upper respiratory tract infection, sinusitis can also occur without the presence of an infection. There are a wide range of causes responsible for clogging of the nose,
- Congestion in the sinuses can result in edema and congestion of the nasal mucosal which limits the passage of air through the nose, resulting in nasal clogging. Lying down during your sleep tends to cause the mucus to enter into the nasal passage and can cause a complete blockage of the nasal passage.
- Polyps or overgrowths of the nasal mucosa can result in obstruction of the air flow through the nasal cavity and are responsible for persistent nasal blockage.
- Deviated Nasal Septum or a bony protrusion tends to alter the normal structure of the nasal passage and result in blockage and obstruction of airflow through the nasal canal. In such condition, constant clogging is observed in one nostril while the other nostril remains open and unclogged.
- In addition, tumors or malignant growths in the nose can also result in obstruction which is relatively rare condition.
Home Remedies For Stuffy Nose
Simple tips including acupressure, steam inhalation and use of herbal home remedies can help in unclogging the nose.
- Steam inhalation is considered on the best options for unclogging the nose. Steam inhalation enhances circulation in the nasal cavity which in turn reduces the congestion and swelling of the nasal mucosa and helps in relieving nasal clogging.
- Adding a few mint leaves in the steam water can be beneficial and helpful in decongesting the clogged nose.
- Include Vitamin C supplements in your diet. Increase the intake of citrus fruits like oranges, lemon, lime, strawberry, etc in your diet. These foods tend to enhance the immunity and help fight nasal congestion.
- Massaging the nose, especially around the sinuses, can help in draining the sinuses and thereby prevent clogging of the nose at night.
- Acupressure is considered to be highly beneficial. The points are located on the either sides of the lower phalanx of the little and the ring finger.
Homeopathic remedies are considered beneficial in the management of clogged nose. Bryonia Alba is a homeopathic remedy which when taken in low potency can help in decongestion of the nose. The remedy is beneficial for damp and wet weather.