While it is common for a bump to appear anywhere on the face, frequently it is seen to develop inside the nostril. A bump or a pimple or a boil as it is commonly referred can be a cause of worry, especially when it is present in your nose. Bump inside the nostril is not embarrassing cosmetically as it is on the face; however it can cause lot of pain and distress for the person suffering from it. For this reason you need a better understanding with regards to its causative factors so that you can prevent it from occurring in first place, and treat the bump as soon as the symptoms and signs appear.
A bump or pimple in the nose is usually caused due to folliculitis. It is an infection at the root of your hairs, and the causative organism is bacteria. Staphylococcus bacteria are the common organism to cause bump inside the nose. However, many other bacteria present inside the nose and the mucus membrane can also cause bumps.
A bump in the nostril requires an early medical or surgical intervention. This is because of probable complication, cavernous sinus thrombosis a relatively fatal condition. The veins of the nose and brain are interlinked; any nasal infection can spread to the brain through these veins.
Causes And Symptoms Of Lump In The Nose
Following are few triggering factors for a bump to develop inside the nostril.
- Repeated nose picking can damage the hair follicle in the nose. The bacteria present in the nose gets a chance to enter the nasal tissue through the damaged follicle and multiply.
- Squeezing of the bump can aggravate the condition and the infection can spread to the deeper layer inside the nose.
- Blowing nose too often.
- Recurrent episodes of bumps inside the nostril are often observed in people suffering from diabetes, people with low immunity and obese individuals.
Symptoms of bumps inside the nostril:
There is slight pain and swelling in the beginning. After 2 or 3 days, the size of the pimple inside the nostril increases. The nose becomes swollen and tender to touch. There is pulsating and throbbing pain inside the nose which makes the patient restless. The bump inside the nose becomes red and inflamed. You can see a hot and fiery nose many times when a bump is present inside the nose. Fever, generalized weakness, malaise are associated symptoms noted with severity of infection. Many times people complain of headache.
Treatment Of Painful Bumps Inside Nostril
Treatment and home remedies for bump or boils in the nostril.
Most of the time, bumps in the nose heal within few days if they are small. However, pain and inconvenience will prevail for a longer period if you wait. Some the home remedies are effective in relieving the symptoms of pain and swelling in conjunction with antibiotics that are prescribed by your doctor.
- Fomentation with warm water on the outer side of the nostril two to three times in a day will help the bump to ripe and recede fast.
- Applying juice of onion to the bump in the nostril will hasten it to ripe and drain few days early.
- Another important home remedy is mixing one or two teaspoon of lime juice in a glassful of bitter gourd juice and drink the juice for few days. It is effective if you drink it on empty stomach as soon as you get up in the morning.
- If the size of the bump (boil) increases in size even after taking antibiotics and home remedies, your doctor may advise surgical incision and drainage.