Bronchi are tubes through which air flows into the lungs. Inflammation of mucous membrane of bronchi is called bronchitis. When acute or chronic bronchitis is associated with asthma like symptoms it is called asthmatic bronchitis. Severe inflammation of bronchi may lead to chest congestion, bronchial constriction and breathlessness. People of all age groups can get affected with asthmatic bronchitis.
Causes of Asthmatic Bronchitis
- Viral or bacterial infection of upper respiratory tract is the most common cause of asthmatic bronchitis.
- Air pollution, allergy, smoking, dust and pollen grains may act as triggering factors.
- Usually a person who is suffering from chronic bronchitis is more likely to get asthmatic bronchitis due to long standing irritation of bronchi.
- People who work with livestock or in coal mines are more prone to develop asthmatic bronchitis.
Asthmatic Bronchitis Symptoms
Severity of symptoms may vary with every patient.
- Fever may be associated with chills.
- Cough is usually productive but due to congestion and constriction patient may have difficult expectoration.
- Chest pain.
- Tightness in chest.
- One may hear whistling sound while breathing. This is called wheezing.
Complications: Sudden strong bronchial spasm may lead to acute breathlessness. Patient may turn blue due to lack of oxygenation. Patient may faint. This is emergency situation and needs immediate medical attention.
Diagnosis: Diagnosis can be done on the basis of medical history and physical examination of the patient. On auscultation doctor will hear ronchi and rales. X-ray will show chest congestion with increased bronchial markings.
Natural Remedies For Asthmatic Bronchitis
- Patient will be given a course of antibiotics to combat infection. If necessary bronchodilators are given to facilitate breathing.
- Steam inhalation helps to loosen the sticky mucus and facilitates expectoration. Steam inhalation followed by gentle patting on back and chest except heart region helps to dislodge mucus.
- Avoid exposure to dust or any known allergens.
- Take flu vaccine.
- Include vitamin C in your diet to improve your immunity against any infection.
- Eat healthy and balanced diet.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Take proper rest.
- If you are suffering from chronic asthmatic bronchitis, then you may need to carry inhalers with you in case of sudden acute exacerbation of symptoms.
- Quit smoking.
Homeopathic Treatment For Asthmatic Bronchitis
Homeopathy can play vital role in the treatment of asthmatic bronchitis. Homeopathic medicines will resolve chronic bronchitis as well as acute bronchitis. Homeopathic medicines can be used to relieve bronchial spasm and to facilitate expectoration. In treating acute viral infection of upper respiratory tract homeopathy can prove extremely beneficial. Homoeopathic medicines can reduce your hypersensitivity to any allergen. Homoeopathy can give complete cure to the patient with asthmatic bronchitis.
There are many medicines available in homeopathy. It is wiser to consult homeopath before taking any homeopathic medicine, as individualization of the patient is necessary before prescribing any medicine. Hence detailed history and proper repertorization of case will help the doctor to give accurate medicine which gives complete cure to the patient with minimal dosages.