Causes Of Hip Arthritis, Causes Of Arthritis Of The Hip, Symptoms Of Hip Arthritis, Home Remedies For Hip Arthritis Pain
Arthritis is inflammation of the hip joint. The condition is characterized by pain and stiffness that usually worsens with advancing age. Arthritis may be either osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
Osteoarthritis of the hip is typified by a breakdown of the joint cartilage. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition which targets the synovial lining of the hip joint.
The treatment regimen for hip arthritis depends up on the type of arthritis. The chief aim of the treatment is to decrease the symptoms and enhance the quality of life.
Causes And Symptoms Of Hip Arthritis
- The most common type of hip arthritis is osteoarthritis that is characterized by breakdown and wear-and-tear damage to the cartilage. When the cartilage gets impaired, the bone grinds directly on to the bone without any cushioning, and this causes pain, stiffness and reduced movement. Cartilage damage may be due to age, joint injury or an infection.
- Rheumatoid arthritis of the hip is seen when the body’s immune system attacks the synovial lining of the joint. Consequently, the synovium gets inflamed and swollen.
- Uric acid crystal deposits, infections or an underlying disorder, like lupus, psoriasis, etc. can cause hip arthritis as well.
Symptoms of arthritis of the hip include the following:
- Pain in the joint.
- Stiffness of the hip joint.
- Inflammation and swelling.
- The joint may turn warm and red.
- Reduced range of movement.
Home Remedies For Hip Arthritis Pain
- Weight loss: Your chief goal should be losing weight, since this will greatly diminish the stress on the weight bearing hip.
- Exercise: Regular exercise keeps joints supple and flexible. Walking, swimming and water aerobics are recommended by experts, given that, the buoyancy of the water decreases the stress on the joint.
- Physical therapy: Confer with a physiotherapist; physiotherapy helps reduce pain, inflammation and stiffness significantly, and most importantly, it helps improve your range of motion.
- Heat and cold: Heat pads and / or ice packs allay pain appreciably.
- Assistance: Walkers, canes, raised toilet seats and other assistive devices protect the hip joints and enhance your capacity to carry out day to day tasks.
- Ginger: The most effective home remedy for arthritis is ginger. Ginger is packed with gingerols which battles inflammation and swelling, and thus manages the pain and stiffness effectively. Have a glass of ginger tea every day.
- Acupuncture: Fine needles are inserted at particular points on the skin to help diminish the pain.
- Glucosamine: Glucosamine offers wonderful results and successfully helps reduce the symptoms of arthritis. Confer with your health care provider / orthopedic and start a supplement.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: This therapy makes use of a tiny gadget which generates mild electrical pulses; TENS therapy stimulates the nerves near the affected joint and obstructs the conduction of pain signals to the brain, thus managing your pain effectively.
- Yoga or Tai Chi: The slow, fluid, stretching movements associated with these therapies help enhance flexibility of the hip joint as well as the range of movement.
- Massage: Massaging and kneading the muscles increases the flow of blood to the joint, briefly allaying pain. Ensure that you visit a licensed masseur and also ensure that he knows which joints are affected by arthritis. Combing aromatherapy with massage therapy also proffers excellent results. Essential oils that are recommended are – clove, ginger, nutmeg and lavender.