Poor circulation in the arms is more frequently observed in the elderly population. Poor circulation in the arms can be associated with a host of conditions and can result in a wide array of symptoms. While pain is the most common symptom associated with poor circulation of blood in the arms, there are several simple home remedies and natural treatments to improve the circulation of blood in the arm.
This article will provide detailed insight into what are the causative factors that are associated with poor circulation in the arms and the various home remedies and natural treatments.
There are several causes that are associated with poor circulation of blood in the arms. Some of these causes include the following,
- Atherosclerosis in older individuals is considered to result in narrowing of the blood vessels which in turn results in poor circulation in the arms. Hypertension on the other hand makes the blood vessels stiffer and harder, which also contributes to poor circulation in the arms.
- Peripheral Vascular disease (PVD) is another common cause of poor circulation in the arm. This disease is linked with defect in the autonomic nervous system of the body. Raynaud’s disease is an example of PVD causing poor circulation in the arm.
- Poor circulation of blood in the arm is also linked with other disease conditions like diabetes, elevated cholesterol levels, heart disease, etc.
- Obesity is also considered to be one of the common contributing factors for poor circulation in the arms.
- Deficiency of vitamins and minerals may also contribute to poor circulation of blood in the arms. Nutritional deficiencies can damage blood vessels which in turn can impact the blood circulation.
- Other conditions associated with poor circulation in the arm include deep vein thrombosis, faulty sleeping posture, over consumption of caffeine, etc.
Symptoms Of Poor Circulation In Arms
Poor circulation in the arms is often linked with a host of symptoms, depending upon the severity of the condition. These symptoms include,
- Severe muscular pain in the arm is common symptom. Pain coming on with the slightest exertion is strongly indicative of poor blood circulation in the arm.
- Tingling numbness in the extremities with burning sensation is also linked with poor circulation of blood in the arms.
- Generalized weakness and lethargy with poor grip of fingers is also indicative of arm pain.
How To Increase Blood Circulation In Arms?
While the treatment of poor circulation in arm may vary depending upon the cause of the condition, there are certain common instructions that have been found to be useful,
- Consume a balanced and healthy diet to ensure that the deficiencies are addressed adequately.
- Gingko Bilobo herb is considered to be very useful to improve blood circulation and treat atherosclerosis. Include this herbal supplement in your routine diet.
- Pumpkin seeds are also considered to be useful in improving blood circulation. Increase intake of foods high in vitamin C and carotene. These foods are also known to enhance blood circulation.
- Massage the back and the arm with olive oil. Add a few drops of lavender to the massage oil. This helps improve blood circulation and also contributes to reducing pain.
- Staying active is very crucial to ensure optimal level of blood circulation. Reduce the intake of tobacco and alcohol as these can interfere with normal blood circulation.