Oily hair is a condition in which your hair starts looking oily, greasy and limp within two to three days after washing. Oily hairs lose their bounce after becoming greasy and look dull and lifeless. Fair people are more prone to develop greasy hair due to more number of sebaceous glands. Those who have fine hair have a problem with oily hair. Because of fine character of hair oiliness of hair is more conspicuous.
Oily hair is one of the causes of dandruff. Due to excessive production of sebum, dirt or dust in air and dead skin cells stick to the skin of scalp and clog the pores of the skin leading to acne.
The reason for oily hair is excessive secretion of sebum by sebaceous glands. It can occur due to hormonal changes after adolescence. Hormone levels are affected by various factors such as stress, pregnancy, birth control pills and changes in menstrual cycle. Change in hormonal level can trigger sebum production.
Home Remedies To Prevent And Cure Oily Hair
- Wash your hair regularly with appropriate shampoo. If necessary wash your hair daily with mild shampoo else wash your hair at least twice a week.
- Clarifying shampoo helps to clean any build-up of grease. But clarifying shampoo should be used only once a month else it may cause excessive dryness of the scalp.
- Use conditioners that are especially made for oily hair. Apply conditioner only to the lower half of hair. Do not apply conditioner to scalp or roots of hair.
- Dilute juice of half lemon in a glass of water apply to the scalp before washing your hair. Lemon juice reduces the oiliness of the scalp.
- Soak fenugreek seed in water for six hours and grind it to form a paste in a mixer. Apply this paste to the scalp and keep it for one hour and then wash your hair with mild shampoo. Fenugreek seeds keep your scalp healthy, prevent dandruff and keep your hair soft. It also has conditioning effect on hair.
- Avoid stress. Think positively in stressful situations. Meditation and relaxation techniques will prove helpful.
- To solve the problem of tangling take two-three drops of any oil on your palm and spread it on palms so that it is evenly distributed on palms then apply it on lower half of your hair.
- Select styling products wisely.
- Brush your hair only when necessary. Excessive brushing stimulates the production of sebum leading to oily hair.
- If you have oily skin your forehead may become oily after sometime. Blow hair away from your forehead so that hair will not absorb oil from your skin.
- Eat healthy balanced diet for maintaining healthy hair.