The hair on our body grows out of a tiny pouch called a follicle. The follicle is susceptible to infection too and this follicle infection may happen to any part of the body that bears hair. Usually triggered by a bacteria, yeast or even fungus it commonly affects areas around the scalp, face and the parts of the body rubbed by clothing, such as the groin and thigh. The medical term for this infection is folliculitis.
What Causes Infection Of Hair Follicles?
There are several common causes for hair follicle infection and these include:
- Bacterial infection: This happens to people living in humid climates.
- Dry itchy scalp or skin: When an itchy body area is scratched a bit too often, it can lead to open areas that can get infected soon. At times, a buildup of dead skin may block the follicle pores leading to an infection. People with hereditary skin disorder also tend to contract this disease.
- Hygiene: Unhygienic lifestyle can trigger bacteria growth in hair follicles. This particularly affects people who skip bathing or do not shower after a hard workout or strenuous activity.
- Improper shaving techniques: This is the most common reason for hair follicle infection. People who shave in the wrong direction end up infecting their follicles quite easily. Sometimes the follicles get infected because of nicks. This mostly happens when a barber uses unclean device on you.
Symptoms Of Infected Hair Follicle
Symptoms of an infected hair follicle may vary, depending on the type of infection. The symptoms for upper hair follicle infection are widely different from deep hair follicle infection.
- Pus-filled blisters
- Itchiness or tenderness
- Clusters of pus-filled bumps around hair follicles.
- Possible scars once the infection clears.
Home Remedies To Treat Infected Hair Follicles
Home remedies can help check and cure hair follicle infection to a great extent. Some well-known home remedies include:
- Scalp massage with herbs: Scalp massage helps to arrest the spread of the infection. This is because a massage can stimulate the hair follicles and distribute the natural oils of the scalp along the hair shaft. It can also loosen any debris and rid the follicles of excess sebum. To normalize hair oil secretion, apply herbal infusions prepared with rosemary or horsetail leaf.
- Apple cider vinegar rinse: Apple cider vinegar is very healthy for the scalp. It can clear the follicle pores and prevent dandruff by killing the bacteria responsible for hair follicle inspection. Apply apple cider vinegar on the scalp, wrap the hair with a towel and shampoo it after half an hour.
- Avocado-Banana mask: Rubbing a mixture of avocado and banana on the scalp can provide nourishment to the hair follicle.
- Whipped egg-honey for hair: Whip an egg with a spoon of lukewarm water mixed with honey, apply it to the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. This kills the bacteria and checks the spread of infection.
Home remedies offer an inexpensive way to treat hair follicle infection. You need to try them out to restore the health of your hair the natural way