Dandruff is a common scalp problem among all the age group and in both the sexes. Dandruff is nothing but itching and scaling of scalp skin. You may notice collection of silvery skin flakes on the scalp and between the hair roots. Though not a serious condition chronic dandruff can become one of the causes for loss of hair, sometimes people may feel embarrassed socially due to itching and visible white flakes on their scalp and hair. Dandruff can have severe repercussions on the scalp resulting into localized skin infection of the scalp and diseases such as psoriasis.
What can Cause Dandruff in Hair?
The cause of dandruff is related to the type of your scalp skin. If the scalp is extremely dry it results into dry dandruff, if the scalp skin is oily it results into oily dandruff.
Dandruff is more common during winter season. This is attributed to dry air and heated rooms. Your skin tends to become drier due to both the factors. The silvery skin flakes resulting from dry climate are smaller in size than those that are caused due to other causes of dandruff. Dry dandruff is easy to prevent and treat.
The risk of dandruff increases when your scalp skin is too oily. Seborrhea is a condition where there is excess secretion of oil in the skin, especially in areas rich with oil glands such as scalp, face and upper trunk. In Seborrhiec dermatitis there is marked redness and greasiness below the yellow or white skin flakes. The incidence is more common in people between 18 to 40 years.
Bad hair care: caring and nurturing your hairs and scalp skin is as important as taking care of other body parts. There is accumulation of dirt and oil in the scalp when you do not wash and clean your hairs regularly. This leads to dandruff.
Use of shampoos that contain harmful chemicals can irritate the skin of scalp causing red, itchy scaly scalp causing dandruff.
Yeast pityrosporon ovale overgrowth on the scalp is also one of the main reasons for dandruff. The exact cause for overgrowth of this fungus is not known but circumstances such as changes in hormones, stress, chronic illnesses, low immunity and improper hair care are supposed to cause the excess growth of the yeast.
Treatment on How to Remove Dandruff from Hair
Though you may find difficulty in getting rid of dandruff, there are several home remedies that can help you to remove dandruff from your hairs.
- Coconut oil and lime juice: mix 1 tablespoon of lime juice in one to two table spoon of oil. Now massage your scalp with this mixture and keep it overnight. The next morning rinse your hair with warm water and a good quality shampoo. Do this procedure once in a week.
- Boil lemon peels in a bucketful of water for 30 minutes. Rinse your hair with water prepared by boiling lemon peels. The use of lemon breaks down the excess of oil on the scalp and reduces dandruff, besides making your hairs look more smooth and silky.
- In one cup of yogurt add 1 tsp of lemon juice, and 2 to 3 tsp of Indian gooseberry juice. Now prepare the mixture and massage it gently on the scalp. Let it remain for two hours to act. Rinse your hairs and scalp with plain water or lukewarm water.
- Vinegar is an effective natural remedy for treating dandruff caused due to yeast and fungus. Add one tsp of vinegar in a bucket of water and wash your hairs with this solution. Do it twice in a week.
- Juice extracted from snake gourd is also an effective home remedy for treating dandruff on your scalp. Apply the juice all over your scalp and keep it for 30 minutes before washing your hairs.
Diet plays an important role if you want to remove dandruff from hairs.
Eat food that is rich in vitamins and minerals. Deficiency of vitamins and minerals even though minor may be responsible for many skin conditions and dandruff can be one of them.
Eat a well balanced diet that consists of all the needed nutrients, including green leafy vegetables and fruits. Try to eat more fibers. Fibers help to prevent constipation one of the causes for dandruff.
Avoid fast foods, refined and processed foods, excess of tea and coffee and colas.
Reduce mental stress and strain. Brush your hairs daily to improve the blood circulation and remove the scales and debris from the scalp.