Dandruff has been the concern of people ever since the advent hair care products. Reaction to dandruff varies from person to person. Some hardly give it a second thought while most are preoccupied with it. Dry, whitish or grayish substances that emerge from the scalp are considered as dandruff. These scales appear when the dead skin cells that line the scalp starts to shed in large amounts. This usually occurs every month. Rapid changing of cells gives way to dandruff accumulation. These dead cells are pushed towards the surface of the head where they stay in visible contrast to the darkness of the hair.
Excessive Dandruff Causes
People suffering from excessive dandruff production are known to have dandruff ailment. Excessive dandruff is usually caused by a person’s lifestyle and habits. The following are excessive dandruff causes:
- Genetic predisposition. Dandruff is a hereditary trait.
- The use of strong chemical products on the hair. These are hair care products, shampoos, gels, hair dyes and other compounds that are used to set the hair.
- Excessive exposure to dust and other environmental irritants.
- Exposure to UV light.
- Improper use of electric hair brushes and curlers.
- Tight, rigid hats and other head apparatus.
- Weather conditions
- Anxiety and stress.
Excessive Dandruff Treatment and Remedies
Cytostatic agents can be used to decrease the reproduction and development of the microorganisms. These agents are present in compounds like zinc pyrithione and selenium sulfide that are used in shampoos and hair treatment products. Ketoconazole containing Nizoral is the only endorsed hair product that is medically verified to control the organisms. Vitamin supplements like the B complex vitamins and selenium should be increased in people with proven nutritional deficiencies.
- Cold and hot water used as bath water is good for increasing scalp circulation.
- Oregano Oil
- Onion. Cut the onion in half and massage into scalp.
- Apple cider vinegar. This vinegar can be poured on the scalp to promote deep cleansing.