Waist pain is one of the common problems faced by many people. At least 60% of adults in America are known to suffer from waist pain at some point of time. In men it is one of the main reasons for absenteeism from work. Your waist is the area between the lower end of the rib cage and the upper end of pelvis. There are several organs situated in the waist area.
At the back, there are muscles, ligaments and tissues that support the spine. Several other organs such as lower end of kidneys, organs of urinary tract and part of intestine are organs situated in waist.
What Are The Causes Of Waist Pain In Men?
There are several causes of pain in waist in men:
- Injury to the lower back or muscle pull due to sudden stretching, lifting a heavy object, or bending and twisting is the leading cause of waist pain in men. An injury can occur as a result of fall, accident or a blow on the waist area.
- Slipped disk or herniated lumbar disk is second commonest cause of waist pain in men. Due to pressure on the spinal disk, it bulges and pushes the cartilage on the sides. As a result the cartilage compresses spinal cord nerves giving rise to severe lancinating pain in the back and the leg.
- Besides psychological reasons due to stress and anxiety which causes muscle spasm can lead to waist pain.
- Obesity can put extra load on the back and can cause muscle strain leading to waist pain.
- Too tight fitting pant or wearing tight belt, bad sitting posture can cause waist pain.
- Stone in urinary system can lead to pain in waist, both in front side as well as in the back.
Natural Remedies For Waist And Lower Back Pain
Waist pain in men can be prevented by following healthy lifestyle such as maintaining healthy weight, practicing good posture and regular exercising. Sit on a chair which has good support and the mattress on which you sleep should be firm.
- Waist pain due to injury and muscle spasm can be treated with homeopathic medicines such as Arnica, colocynth, Rhus tox etc.
- If waist pain is due to slip disk, do not attempt to lift any weight. When the pain is acute, complete bed rest is best treatment to be followed as advised by the doctor. Hot water fomentation, is helpful when the cause is muscle pull or slip disk. Many times anti-inflammatory medicine and pain killer are also effective.
- In case of urinary stone waist pain, antispasmodic medicines are useful. Homeopathic medicines are effective in expelling urinary stones. Drinking plenty of water is also helpful in expelling the stone. Person who has stone in his kidney or urinary tract, he should drink at least one to one and half liters of water.
- Yoga exercise helps to strengthen back muscles, improves spine flexibility, and lessens stiffness. Thus it reduces waist pain resulting from bad sitting posture.
- Certain herbs are found to be effective in treating the condition. Turmeric is one such herb. Turmeric reduces inflammation which is mostly responsible for pain.
- An ointment containing capsaicin when applied topically helps to relieve inflammation and pain in waist region which is caused due to muscle pull in the back.