The thyroid is a tiny and very important gland of the human body.
- It is located in the frontal area of the neck. Moreover, it has many functions in the body which includes the regulation of:
- cell’s chemical processes
- food conversion processes
- oxygen usage in the body and
- The thyroid is responsible in the manufacture and release of hormones in the body.
- There are two types of hormones released by the thyroid which are called:
- thyroxine and
- However, the thyroid can also be vulnerable to diseases. When these occur, it only means the entire body is affected.
What are the Symptoms of Enlarging Thyroid Gland
Swelling and Dizziness
- The primary symptom of thyroid enlargement is swelling.
- This is due mainly to the increase in size of the thyroid.
- In serious cases, the swelling is pronounced. The size of it may vary from a tiny nodule to a huge lump in the neck.
- The swollen thyroid compresses the wind pipe as well as the esophagus which results to coughing and breathing difficulties.
- Swelling in the veins of the neck can block the veins blood flow to the brain. This will cause the person to feel light-headed whenever the arms are brought above the head.
Wheezing and Swallowing Problems
- Wheezing is a breathing difficulty that is accompanied by a whistling sound during exhalation.
- The whistling sound is due to the narrowing of the wind pipe that is caused by the enlarged gland.
- This symptom is commonly seen in patients with Asthma.
- As mentioned earlier in this article, the enlarged thyroid puts pressure in the esophagus, sometimes called the “channel for eating.”
- When this happens, the individual also experience problems in swallowing.
- If the individual has no other throat problems, it would be better to consult a physician.
Pain in the Joints
- When an individual have thyroid diseases, one common symptom is joint pains.
- There is muscle pain, weakness, fatigue and muscle cramps in the hands and legs.
What are the Causes of Thyroid Gland Enlargement
Thyroid enlargement can be a result of so many different things or diseases. Here are some of the factors that cause an increase in thyroid size:
- Goiter- is a type of thyroid enlargement. Due to its enlarged size it is already visible in the neck area and in ultrasound and x-ray results.
- Coughing and difficulty in breathing due to the pressure on the esophagus and the wind pipe.
- Sensitive to touch.
- Hyperthyroidism- is characterized by the increased production of hormones.
- It is most common in women aged 20 to 40 years old.
- Men are no exceptions to this disorder.
- Hypothyroidism- is the exact reverse of hyperthyroidism. With hypothyroidism there is the decrease in the hormone production.
- Weight gain
- Tired and feels cold.
- Heart rate is slow.
- For women, it causes heavy menstruation.
- For men, it causes erectile dysfunction.