Osteoarthritis is a condition of the joints which is associated with breakdown of the cartilaginous tissue which acts as a cushion between bones of the joint. Osteoarthritis is an age related disorder and is associated with symptoms like pain and swelling of the affected joints.
Osteoarthritis is the most common joint condition which affects 25 million people in the United States alone. The condition is more frequently observed in females. There are several causes that can lead to the development of the condition. Fortunately there are several lifestyle modifications, simple remedies and natural treatment modalities that can help in the management of this degenerative joint disease.
Osteoarthritis is one of the most common forms of arthritis which is caused due to breakdown and loss of cartilaginous tissue. This cartilaginous tissue is a protein substance which cushions the bones within the joint and allows them to slide over one another with ease. Osteoarthritis is an age related degenerative joint disorder and it usually affects elderly population.
The condition usually affects weight bearing joints namely the knees and the hips. The condition is also associated with formation of bone spurs and abnormalities within the tissue.
What Are The Main Causes Of Osteoarthritis?
While the degenerative condition is usually associated with age related degeneration, there are several predisposing factors that are linked to be associated with the development of the condition. These factors include the following,
- Obesity or excess of weight increases the load on the weight bearing joints making them prone to osteoarthritis.
- Osteoarthritis increases in prevalence as the age advances and affects more than 80% of adults above the age of 70 years. The condition has a higher prevalence in females compared to males.
- Injury or trauma to the joints can increase the risk of osteoarthritis.
- Joint abnormalities can also lead to higher risk of osteoarthritis.
- Certain races like African or Chinese people have a higher prevalence of the condition compared to other races.
- Some experts suggest that hormonal disturbances can also be associated with osteoarthritis.
Symptoms Of Osteoarthritis
Some of the common symptoms associated with degenerative bone disease include,
- Pain and stiffness of the joint, especially after prolonged periods of inactivity.
- The condition is associated with inflammation and swelling of the affected joint.
- The range of movement of the joint is considerable reduced primarily due to pain and swelling.
The symptoms may vary significantly in manifestation and are usually visible on an X ray or a MRI scan. The condition can be associated with other bone disorders like osteoporosis.
Natural Remedies For Osteoarthritis
Lifestyle and dietary modifications can help in the management of the condition at home. There are several natural and home remedies which can be used promptly to alleviate the symptoms associated with the condition,
- Reducing weight is the primary requirement to treat the condition. Regular exercising can help reduce weight and also help in strengthening the muscles around the joint to reduce the severity of the symptoms.
- Hot compress can help in reducing pain while cold compress can help in reducing swelling. Alternate hot and cold compress can help in alleviating symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Homeopathic remedy Bryonia, taken in low potency, is very potent in the management of swelling and pain linked with osteoarthritis.