Numbness in right arm is a symptom. It can occur due to some underlying condition. Many conditions can cause numbness in the right arm. Depending on other associated signs and symptoms, physical examination can help reach to a conclusion and enable treatment accordingly. One must get himself examined from a doctor to diagnose the underlying condition.
Various causes of numbness in right arm are:
- Sitting or standing in one position for a long time can affect the circulation and cause numbness in right arm. This is a temporary condition and once you change the position, circulation is restored and numbness disappears.
- Improper nutrition, vitamin and mineral deficiency, lack of vitamin B12, calcium.
- Excessive intake of alcohol or tobacco may lead to nerve damage.
- Certain medicines that affect circulation.
- Radiation therapy
- Ingestion of seafood that contain toxins. It will be associated with other digestive complaints.
- Certain insect bites such as spider, mites or ticks. In these cases bite mark will be visible on body.
- Injury caused by frostbite may affect the circulation in right arm and cause numbness.
- Pressure or pinching of nerve can occur due to prolapsed disc resulting in numbness.
- Scars or infection in the right arm can compress the blood vessels.
- Atherosclerosis and angina.
- Cerebral stroke can cause numbness in right arm. This numbness will be progressive and associated with other symptoms such as weakness in the muscles and paralysis.
- Infection with herpes zoster virus. Look out for herpetic eruptions on the body.
- Long term medical conditions such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and hypothyroidism.
- Sometimes attacks of migraine and epileptic fits are preceded by numbness in right arm.
Diagnosis: If a person notices numbness and tingling sensation in right arm, he should go to a doctor for a detailed examination. On the basis of associated symptoms and physical examination, doctor will determine which tests are needed.
Treatment Options For Numbness In Right Arm
- If numbness is due to injury, one must take adequate rest. Warm compresses are applied to reduce swelling. Medication is given to reduce inflammation. After a few days, do light stretching exercises under the guidance of a physical therapist. This will improve the circulation of the area and muscles will relax.
- Do not overwork the arm to prevent further injury.
- If numbness is due to vitamin or mineral deficiency one must improve the diet to incorporate necessary nutrients. Take vitamin and mineral supplements under a doctor’s guidance.
- Avoid exposure to known toxic substances.
- Diabetic patients must monitor their blood sugar levels at regular intervals to keep it under control.
- If symptoms of cerebral stroke are noticed, one needs emergency treatment to avoid further damage.