There are a wide range of conditions that can result in aching in arms and legs. These conditions may range from arthritis to muscle cramps. Aching arms and legs can be attributed to several causative factors. These causative factors may include nutritional deficiencies to chronic auto-immune disorders like arthritis. The management of the pain depends upon the underlying causative factor responsible for the aching.
There are many remedies available which can help in reliving the pain of aching arms and legs. Though over the counter non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs are used, there are a host of natural treatment options for the management of the condition.
Symptoms Of Aching Arms And Legs
There are several factors that are responsible for aching arms and legs. These factors tend to determine the manifestation or symptoms associated with the aching of arms and legs. Some of the most common factors along with the symptoms include the following,
- Muscle Cramps: The most common factor responsible for aching in the arms and legs, muscular cramps are caused due to involuntary contraction of the muscle fibers. These cramps or pain can last from a few seconds to several hours and are often very uncomfortable. Cramps usually affect the calf muscles or the muscles of the feet, however cramps can also be experienced in the arm
- Arthritis: This term refers to inflammation of the joints which can result in pain in the extremities. Arthritis is classified into osteoarthritis (which is associated with age related degeneration of the bone tissue) or rheumatoid arthritis, which is associated with auto-immune reactivity.
- Muscular sprain or injury: Another common cause associated with aching in the arms and legs, overuse of muscles can result in increased risk of muscular damage. Pulled muscles though more frequently affect the lower extremities can also be experienced in the upper extremity. The condition is characterized by extreme pain along with limited range of movement
- Dietary insufficiency: Another factor that is responsible for aching in the arms and legs include the dietary deficiency of proteins, minerals and vitamins.
Natural Remedies For Muscle Aches In Arms And Legs
The treatment for aching arms and legs depends upon the underlying cause. The treatment for the management of persistent aching in the arms and legs include the following,
- Dietary Supplements of minerals including calcium, magnesium and potassium plays a crucial role in the management of muscular cramps and spasms. A diet rich in proteins is considered to be beneficial, especially in individuals with persistent aching in arms and legs.
- Chamomile is a herb which has several medicinal and nutritional properties. This herb is considered effective in the management of muscular cramps and also alleviates pain.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, bromelain (an extract of pineapple) is considered to help in reducing inflammation and aids in the management of aching arms and legs. Bromelin is efficient in the management of pain associated with arthritis.
- Ginger is another herb which is considered to have strong anti-inflammatory properties and is considered beneficial in the management of a wide range of problems including arthritis and muscle pain.
- Valerian supplements along with turmeric have been beneficial in the management of generalized muscle pain and aching in the extremities. Turmeric is considered to be loaded with antioxidants and have several anti-inflammatory properties while Valerian is considered beneficial in relieving pain often associated with nerve root compression and is considered beneficial in the management of sciatica.