Everyone hates that roll of flab popping over the waistband of the jeans; and it totally wrecks your tailored shirts and clingy sweaters. In fact, surveys say that love handles are one of the most common reasons people exercise and appoint a personal exercise coach.
Experts state that people think that crunches will help get rid of love handles quickly; however, that is not the case. When properly done, crunches help tone up your abdominal muscles, but love handles do not contain any muscle. They’re only fat, and in order to burn this fat you need a rigorous and intensive cardiovascular regimen and you must eat right.
Exercises To Get Rid Of Love Handles
These exercises are effective and proffer rapid and fabulous results:
- Leg twists: Lie on your back. Lift the legs up and bend at the knees, such that the calves are parallel to the floor. Now, slowly lower the legs together to the left side so that the outer left thigh touches the floor. Return to the original position and then lower on to the right side. Do about 20 repetitions on each side.
- Plank: Kneel on the floor, keeping the hands shoulder width apart. Keep the back of the neck long, looking face down and the chin tucked towards the throat. Fully involve your abdominal muscles by drawing them in towards the spine. Now, lift the knees up and bring the hips in to line so that everything from the back of the head, neck, spine, sacrum and the back of the heels are in one plane. Hold for the count of 50.
- Side Plank: Lie down on the left side, leaning onto your elbow. Keep the legs straight, such that, the edge of your left foot is on the floor. Use your abdominal muscles to hold your body up in a straight line.
Exercises For Love Handles And Waist
The following exercises are strong back-bends; they work on your core muscles as well as help strengthen the spine.
- Triangle: Stand with your feet wide apart. Turn the right foot outwards at 90 degrees. Inhale and stretch your spine. Exhale and lower your body slowly; grasp your right ankle, if you can place the palm next to your little toe. Twist your body upwards and raise the left hand towards the ceiling. Hold the pose and breathe comfortably. Repeat for the other side.
- Cobra: Lie face down on the floor. Place the palms below the shoulders, with the fingers facing forwards. Inhale and lift your chest and curl the spine off the floor, keeping the pubic bone on the floor. Keep the shoulders soft and straighten your arms. Hold for the count of 50.
- Bridge: Lie on your back. Bend the knees and keep the arms beside you. Keep the feet hip width apart. Inhale and lift your hips, raising the buttock of the floor. Bring your palms below the back and interlock your fingers. Tuck the chin in to the chest. Press up through the front of the thighs. Hold for 20 to 30 counts. Come back to the original position. Repeat 5 times.