Pimple on eye is the bump that one may notice on one’s eyelid. It is called ‘Stye’. It is an inflammation of sebaceous glands occurring generally near the margin of eyelids. Pimple occurs most of the time on the outer surface of an eyelid. Sometimes, it can occur on the inner surface of the eyelid. Pimples have acute onset and short duration and last for eight to ten days. It may disappear without any treatment. Sometimes, it may require treatment.
Causes Of Pimples On Eyelid
Pimple on eyelid is caused by staphylococcus aureus bacilli.
Symptoms Of Stye On Eyelid
- Nodule can be seen on the eyelid.
- Pimple will be painful. Pain can be felt during movements of the eyelid. Blinking is painful.
- Crusting occurs at the margin of the eyelid.
- At the base of eyelashes, white-greenish spots occur due to pus formation.
- After few days, pimple will rupture and pus is drained out. Pimple heals once pus is completely drained.
Complications: Infection may spread to the eyes and cornea if pimple is popped or squeezed. Sometimes, chalazion is formed which is cosmetic deformity. Improper surgical lancing may cause lid fistula or disruption in growth of an eyelash.
Treatment And Prevention Of Pimple On Eye
- Wash the affected eyelid with warm water and mild non-irritant soap to clean the crusting along the margin of the eyelid.
- Soak your handkerchief in warm water and remove excess water from the handkerchief.
- If necessary doctor will prescribe antibiotic to treat the infection.
- If pimple is persistent and not responding to any measures, then surgical treatment may become necessary.
- Homeopathic medicines help to get rid of pimples on the eyes. Belladonna if taken in early stages will reduce the inflammation and abort the formation of styes. In later stages, medicines like sulphur, silicea are useful to reduce time taken for suppuration and draining of pus. But take theses medicines in appropriate dosages after consulting your homeopath.
- Do not wear contact lenses if you have a pimple on the eyelid.
- Practice good hygiene. Wash your face three to four times a day. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Do not apply eye makeup if you are suffering from pimples on the eyes.
- Don’t share eye cosmetics with anybody.
- Those who have tendency for recurrent styes must keep warm compresses on eyelids three times a day. This will soften the contents of sebaceous glands and prevent its blockage.
- Keep your eye tools clean. Sterilize them in boiling water before use. After use keep them in a box to prevent dust settling on it.