Getting up in the morning with a Goopy (sticky), red and swollen eye is the most probable cause of conjunctivitis. Also known as pink eye, the condition is common among children as well as adults. The redness, watering and swelling in white portion of the eye is just a symptom and not a disease.
Besides conjunctivitis, there are several other reasons that can give rise to goopy eyes. It can be due to excessive dryness of the eyes, formation of a cyst, an allergy and so on. Whatever may be the cause, when there is oozing from the eyes, either watery or turbid pus like can lead to goopy eyes.
What Causes Goopy Eyes In The Morning?
There are many causes for your eye to become goopy (sticky and wet). They are as follows:
- Conjunctivitis: Conjunctivitis is inflammation of white part of the eye. It is also called conjunctiva. This condition is associated with redness, swelling, watery and goopy eyes. There is a sandy and gritty sensation upon blinking. Itching in the eye is a common feature of this condition. The eyelids are stuck and crusted when you awake in the morning. The causative organisms are bacteria and virus and the conjunctivitis resulting due to them is highly infectious.
- Goopy eyes can also result when conjunctivitis is not contagious, as in allergic conjunctivitis (cosmetic and contact lens allergy), exposure to irritants such as chemical fumes, pollens, pet dander, and dust.
- Trauma to the eyes: a foreign body in the eye or trauma can cause redness, swelling and thick drainage from the eyes.
- Blocked tear ducts: the tears produced in your eye are generally drained into the tear ducts. They are tiny opening at the corner of your lower eyelids. When the tear ducts gets blocked, tears run out of the eyes.
How To Get Rid Of Red Swollen Goopy Eyes?
Red, irritated and watering from eyes can originate from several causes, however there are some easy ways that you can follow at home to get rid of this problem.
- Wet compresses: take a piece of clean cloth and soak it in tepid water. Gently compress the affected eye with the wet cloth. Wet compresses provide comfort and relief from soar eyes. It also gets rid of crusts that prevent the opening of the eyelids.
- When the cause of goopy eyes is due to infection, use mild warm or tepid water compresses. In case of bacterial conjunctivitis, consult your doctor. He may prescribe antibiotic eye drops.
- If the cause is allergic conjunctivitis, using compresses of cold water is beneficial.
- Clean your eyes regularly with rose water if they become dry. It will prevent dryness and relieve irritation.
- Euphrasia is a homeopathic medicine which effectively treats goopy eyes. It is useful when there is excessive watering of eyes. It also helps to relieve the symptoms of redness, burning and swelling of eyelids.
- In case of blocked tear ducts which are most common in children and toddlers, massage the tear duct area. The doctor will show you the area where you have to massage. Cut your fingernails and place cotton ball between the finger and massage area. This will protect the eyes from any direct trauma from the fingers.
- Boil fennel seeds. Use the water to wash the affected eyes. They reduce redness, irritation and inflammation in the eyes.