Black eye is a condition characterized by bruising of the eye and the surrounding tissue. While a blow to the face is the most common cause from black eye, other causes include allergic reaction, nasal injuries, jaw or face lift surgery, dental infection or infection of the skin surrounding the eye.
Black eye is often associated with symptoms like pain, swelling and headaches, while trauma to the eye is associated with additional symptoms like blurry vision and hemorrhage spots in the eye.
While in most cases, simple home based treatment is adequate to deal with black eye, additional symptoms like nausea, vomiting and vision problems, are indicative of a complication and require immediate medical assistance.
Natural Ways To Heal A Black Eye Quickly
Here are some useful tips to deal with black eye quickly, especially when it is associated with non complicated symptoms,
- Immediate application of ice packs applied on the affected area helps reduce the inflammation and swelling. Ice helps constrict the blood vessels and thereby helps halt the inflammatory response. Wrap the pieces of ice in a clean muslin cloth and hold them over the eye for 5 to 10 minutes. It is important to remember not to rub ice directly onto the eyes since it can lead to damage of the surrounding delicate skin tissue.
- Warm compress should be used a couple of days later, as it improves blood flow to the damaged tissue and hastens recovery. Dip a clean piece of cloth in hot water and dab it around the eye for a few minutes.
- Local application of a fine slices of pineapple and papaya is useful in dealing with black eye quickly. Both the fruits are loaded with antioxidants which hasten the process of healing and also help deal with the discoloration of the skin quickly. Local application of the slices of these fruits is recommended especially in case of associated skin injuries.
- Mix a tablespoon of cayenne pepper with three tablespoons of Vaseline and apply it on the affected side. Ensure that the mixture doesn’t enter the eye. Cayenne pepper can hasten the healing process and alleviates pain while Vaseline has a soothing effect on the skin.
- Arnica is another herb which is very useful for all forms of bruises and trauma related injuries. Boil the dried herb in warm water for about 15 minutes and then allow it to cool. Strain the water and consume it after cooling. Alternatively one can use ointments or creams containing arnica as local applications.
- Witch hazel is equally potent in dealing with black eye and related condition. Soak a cotton pad with witch hazel and place it on the affected eye. Then gently wipe out the witch hazel and apply chamomile essential oil around the eye. This technique will have a soothing effect on the eye and also hasten the healing process.
- Comfrey root is an efficient home treatment for black eye. One can apply the roots in the form of a paste by grinding them along with water. Alternately boil the roots in warm water and apply the warm solution on to the bruised eye about twice a day, using a clean cloth or cotton.
- Vitamin C supplements taken internally can hasten the healing process. Vitamin C helps boost natural immunity and prevent secondary infections, which can lead to complications. One can consume foods rich in vitamin C namely sweet potatoes, lemons, lime, mangoes, oranges, guavas and Indian gooseberries.