Blockage in throat, which is also known as throat obstruction can cause severe difficulty in eating or drinking. It creates a lumpy feeling which can be highly discomforting. There can be several factors causing blockage in throat. Though pain is very common to throat blockage, sometimes the affliction may even lead to bleeding.
However, in most cases, throat blockage does not have any serious medical complications and can be easily treated with natural remedies. However, consulting a doctor might be necessary, especially if someone experiences difficulty in breathing due to the blockage.
Symptoms Of Throat Blockage
The symptoms of blockage in throat depend on the intensity or severity of the obstruction. People who get minor obstructions due to mucus do not experience much of a difficulty in swallowing. If the obstruction is caused by mucus, then it gets manifested with a tickling feel or persisting throat irritation.
In case the obstruction is caused by foreign objects, people may experience drooling, high-pitched breathing, chest pain, abdominal pain, throat pain, vomiting, gagging or wheezing. Throat infection for two or more weeks can also lead to blockage.
If the obstruction is caused due to lump formation or tumor, people may experience breathing problem, swallowing difficulty or seeping of liquid. In extreme cases, a bluish or purplish tint may appear on the on face due to shortage of oxygen supply to the body.
What Can Cause A Blockage In Your Throat?
Causes of blockage in throat are not always alarming. People may get the blockage for swallowing hard objects accidentally while eating. Children as well as many adults get blockage if fish or chicken bones get accidentally stuck in throat.
Presence of excess mucus in the throat can also lead to throat blockage. Sometimes throat infection can cause the nodes or glands to swell up leading to blockage.
Some people also get blockage in throat due to enlarged thyroid glands. If the thyroid gland produces excessive hormones, it can lead to swelling of the area causing discomfort to the patient.
Yet, for some patients the cause can be as severe as enlarged growth like tumor or lump and may need immediate medical attention.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Blockage In Throat
Blockage in throat can be easily treated with natural remedies.
- Drinking plenty of fluids and increasing the consumption of warm liquids like soup or green tea can help in the treatment of mucus deposition. Hot tea, coffee or alcoholic beverage should be avoided.
- Drinking decoction prepared with vinegar, brown sugar and clematis herb can also help in treating throat blockage.
- If any foreign object like fish bones gets stuck in the throat, you can try eating boiled egg in one gulp. Swallowing steamed rice in large quantity can also help in removing foreign objects from throat.
- Chewing and swallowing bread without the sides can also help in the treatment of this condition. Holding a small slice of banana in your mouth can also help in treatment.
- Gargling with lukewarm saltwater is also an effective home remedy for clearing blockage in throat. However, if the blockage is persistent then it might be because of the presence of a tumor. In such cases, consulting a doctor becomes necessary.