Sluggish bowels are bowels that not working at their best. There can be many reasons why this might happen, most of which are lifestyle issues and can be easily remedied.
The main cause of sluggish bowels is constipation. Constipation is when you have difficulty passing motions. Your body digests food and undigested waste leaves the body through the intestines and colon. For constipated people, passing motions can be painful or irregular. The best way to remedy this is to improve your dietary habits and get a more active lifestyle.
- Eat food with high fiber content.
- Remember to drink lots of water. Hydration is just as important as fiber in your diet. Drinking plenty of water is a great way to improve sluggish bowels.
- Include foods like yogurt and food with probiotic bacteria in your diet. These probiotic bacteria keep healthy bacteria in your colon healthy and active, which in turn helps in clean and smooth bowel movements.
- Rest adequately and get some light exercise. Just food will not help your bowels to function smoothly.
- If such lifestyle tips do not make a difference, you can also try some home remedies like eating bananas or trying phylum husk. Other herbal and natural remedies include papaya, licorice root, aloe vera and wormwood powder.
There are colon cleanses that are used to alleviate chronic constipation. These methods are usually good as a one-time solution but it is important that you slowly change your life so that you can deal with constipation permanently. After a colon cleanse, you need to introduce food slowly, starting from food that is easy to digest.
Some foods can aggravate constipation. You need to be aware of such foods. Dairy is often a common culprit and most people prone to constipation keep away from dairy. You also need to away from refined products, fruit juices and stimulants. For people prone to sluggish bowels, it is important to slowly introduce a healthier lifestyle. There is not permanent cure for sluggish bowels except eating correctly.