Loose motion also refers to diarrhea or dysentery. It is the state in which the body loses loose, watery stools frequently in a day. The patient loses more fluids than the fluids the patient intakes. Loose motion should not be left unattended. Complications can arise when loose motion is left unattended; the most dangerous of complications is dehydration.
Loose Motion Remedy
Treatment for loose motion is focused on preventing dehydration and relieving the discomforts of the condition.
- Replace the fluids lost. Fluids can be replaced by oral fluid intake. If the patient is able to tolerate drinking and is conscious, the patient should be encouraged to drink fluids particularly oral rehydration salts or electrolyte solutions.
- Stop the loose motions. Loose motions can be stopped with the help of medications as indicated by the physician.
- Dietary changes. When the patient experiences loose motions, it is advisable that the patient’s stomach be rested. The patient will be put on fasting, strict liquid diet, or soft diet.
- Drink clean water only. If experiencing loose motions, bottled mineral water is advised rather than tap water.
- Avoid consuming dairy and dairy products because this irritates the GI tract more.
- Bulk the stools by consuming foods such as cheese, apples with the skin, and banana.
How to Stop Loose Motions
To stop further dehydrating the patient, loose motions have to be stopped. There are simple home remedies available to help stop loose motions.
- Buttermilk. This is helpful in treating diarrhea. It refers to the fat left after milk has been curd. It addresses diarrhea by overcoming the harmful intestinal flora present in the GI tract. This can be taken with a pinch of salt up to three to four times a day.
- Carrot Soup. This is a good source of minerals essential for replacing lost fluids and electrolytes.
- Fenugreek seeds taken together with buttermilk help treat the loose motions.
- Ginger is especially helpful in treating diarrhea caused by indigestion.
- Mint taken together with lime juice and honey.
- Bottle gourd for the treatment of excessive thirst caused by loose motions.
- Drumstick leaves mixed with honey and coconut water is effective in treating diarrhea.
- Mango seeds, dried and powdered, taken twice daily can help relieve diarrhea.
- Sesame seeds act as excellent remedies for loose motions.
- Turmeric acts as a gastric stimulant and tonic.