Gall bladder is an integral part of the gastrointestinal system and is located on the right side below the liver. The gall bladder stores bile which plays a vital role in digestion of fats and other nutrients. Gallstones are gall bladder stones that can obstruct the passage of bile from the gall bladder into the small intestine or can cause inflammation of the internal lining of the bladder.
Normally smaller gall stones are not associated with any symptoms; however larger gall stones can be associated with symptoms like severe abdominal pain. Here are some natural remedies that can prove beneficial in the management of gallstones at home.
Gallstones or gall bladder stones are particles comprising of bile or cholesterol, which are located in the gall bladder. The gallbladder is an organ which stores bile which is released during the digestive process to aid in the digestion of fat cells. Under normal conditions, accumulation of bile salts in the gall bladder can lead to formation of small particles or stones, which are usually asymptomatic.
Gallstones are of different types but primarily composed of bile salts and cholesterol. Occasionally some gallstones may contain calcium crystals. Larger gallstones are associated with symptoms like pain due to gallbladder obstruction.
Possible Causes Of Gallstones
Causes for the formation of gallstones are not very clearly defined; however there are certain risk factors that are observed to be associated with formation of gallstones. Some of these risk factors include,
- Pigment stones are observed in people who have liver disease or have high levels of bilirubin in blood.
- Females are more prone to develop gallstones compared to males.
- Overweight individuals are at higher risk of gallstones compared to their normal weighed counterparts. Further reports suggest that quick weight loss strategies or crash diets are also associated with higher risk of gallstones.
- Certain medications like cholesterol lowering agents or contraceptive pills are associated with gallstones.
Symptoms Of Gallbladder Stones
Estimates suggest that about 60% of the cases of gallstones are asymptomatic. Symptoms are usually present only when the gallstone is larger in size. Here are some characteristic signs and symptoms of gallstones,
- Sharp pain in the right upper part of the abdomen and radiating back to the right shoulder is a unique feature of gallstones. The pain is often triggered after a greasy or fatty meal. The attack may last for about 4 to 5 hours.
- Nausea, vomiting, indigestion and low grade fever are other common symptoms.
- Jaundice (i.e. yellowish discoloration of the skin) can also be indicative of a gallstone.
Treatment And Prevention Of Gallstones
There are certain lifestyle and dietary modifications that can be beneficial in treatment of gallstones at home,
- Increase the intake of fresh fruits, vegetables and vegetable soups. Avoid beverages and aerated drinks. Including clear liquids in your diet will provide your gall bladder with the much needed rest.
- Avoid oily, starchy and greasy food. This will naturally reduce the production of bile and reduce the strain of the biliary system.
- Chelidonium is considered to be very effective in treatment of gallstones. Take the herb frequently repeated over several times in the day for the sustained relief.