Nowadays in every nook and corner you will find a coffee shop. There is rise in consumption of coffee and people appreciate it as it gives instant relief in mental and physical fatigue, besides increasing the mental alertness. ‘Caffeine’ present in coffee is mainly responsible for this sudden surge of energy. However, the real question that comes in mind is, does consuming coffee really benefits our health. The answer to this question is ‘no’. Coffee can have many unpleasant effects and one of them is gastrointestinal problem or an upset stomach in simple words.
As a beverage coffee has attained the peak of popularity because of its caffeine content. It is a stimulant and diuretic compound. As a stimulant it influences the nervous system of the gastrointestinal tract giving rise to distressing stomach complaints and as a diuretic it causes constipation.
Caffeine is not only present in coffee but also in tea, colas, chocolates, certain energy drinks and even in few pain relieving drugs. Acid reflux, burning in stomach and gaseous feeling are some of the symptoms that people may complain of after drinking coffee. This upset is caused due to caffeine as it stimulates secretion of acid in the stomach.
Can Coffee Upset Your Stomach?
It is not only caffeine, there is another compound called Tannin present in coffee which can give rise to stomach upsets. Tannin is a type of acid which is also found in tea. Tannin causes irritation and inflammation of stomach lining. Inflammation of stomach lining gives rise to a condition called gastritis. It is a common complaint in many coffee drinkers, especially who drink coffee in abundance and frequently, you can say a coffee addict. These persons often complain of heartburn, nausea, pain in stomach.
Acid reflux which is similar type of gastric complaint and has similar symptoms is known to increase in people who drink coffee.
Home Remedies For Stomach Upset Due To Coffee
Here are some remedies for an upset stomach caused due to drinking coffee.
Drinking coffee in moderation up to 1 or 2 cups in a day is well tolerated by most adults. Gastric upsets, stomach aches, gasses and bloating, heartburn, are usually observed in people who drink coffee in large quantity and many times in a day. Having said this, it is not a rule, as in some people drinking even one glass of coffee can also cause stomach problems. Here are some of the home remedies that can be effective in treating stomach upsets caused due to coffee.
- Stop taking coffee or any other caffeinated drinks such as tea or colas etc.
- If drinking coffee is responsible for causing constipation, eat green leafy vegetables, fruits and food rich in fibers. Oats are also preferred as they contain fiber.
- Mix one teaspoon of psyllium husk in milk or water and drink it at night. It is effective in relieving constipation as it is made up of fibers.
- Baking soda: baking soda is beneficial in case of gastritis caused due to excess coffee intake. Mix half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it.
- Mix pinch of cinnamon powder in one teaspoon of honey and consume it two times in a day if there is case of acid indigestion due to coffee.
- Peppermint tea is another herbal remedy which relieves stomach soreness caused due to coffee drinking.
- Banana is also useful in relieving stomach irritability after drinking coffee.
- Eating rice and apple in such condition is also beneficial in relieving stomach upsets.