Rice pudding is a great comforting and relishing dessert liked by children and adults for its delicious taste and flavor. This simple and healthy pudding is easy to prepare at home or readily available in food stores. To make rice pudding you require rice, milk, eggs and sugar. Other ingredients are added to the pudding to enhance its flavor and taste such as cinnamon, almonds, dry figs etc.
In many parts of the world, rice pudding is well accepted dessert dish, while many prefer to eat it in their breakfast. You can prepare variety of healthy versions of rice pudding, it depends on your choice what to add and what not to.
You can prepare rice pudding from any variety of rice, usually white rice, brown rice, Jasmine or Basmati rice is usually used to prepare the pudding. As the pudding cannot be prepared without milk, you can make your choice for type of milk to prepare the pudding. Low calorie skim milk, cow’s milk, coconut milk are often used. Eggs, sugar or artificial sweetener or natural honey is added as other ingredients. Crushed cinnamon, pistachio or almonds is added attraction of rice pudding.
Calories And Nutrition Facts Of Rice Pudding
We will take simple basic ingredients of rice pudding such as rice, milk, water, sugar, eggs when you prepare it at home. Adding extra ingredients of your choice will increase its calorie value.
1 cup of pudding contains: 300 calories.
- Total fat – 4gm, cholesterol 12mg, sodium 100mg, potassium 400mg, total carbohydrates 60gms of which sugar and starch is 40gms and fibers makes 20gms and protein 10gms.
- Vitamin C, calcium, iron, vitamin B1, B2, B6, vitamin E and D are also present in rice pudding.
- Out of 300 calories, 80% is carbohydrate, 10% is fats and 10% is protein.
You can always make changes according to your requirements such as you can replace whole milk with skim milk or coconut milk. Add less quantity of sugar and salt, or replace it with artificial low calorie sweetener to decrease the calorie content.
If you buy it from store, the nutrition information is printed on the container, and you know the exact amount of nutrients present in the container of rice pudding.
Health Benefits Of Rice Pudding
In comparison with other desserts such as ice cream and custards, rice pudding has more health benefits. It is easy to digest. For children who are fussy to drink milk, rice pudding is a better option as a breakfast food.
- Great energizer: as rice pudding consists more of carbohydrates it is a great energizer. The starch and sugar present in rice pudding gives instant energy and eating as a dessert will definitely refresh you.
- Healthier bones and teeth: both vitamin D and calcium present in rice pudding will benefit in healthy bones and teeth.
- For building and repairing tissues: presence of eggs in rice pudding is beneficial as egg is rich source of proteins. Proteins are useful for muscle and tissue growth as well as its repair.
- Several vitamins present in rice pudding such as vitamin C, vitamin D, and vitamin B-complex keep the body in good health.
- The fibers present in rice pudding keeps your gastrointestinal system in good shape; it regulates bowel movements and relieves constipation. It does not contain gluten and those who have gluten allergy can rely on rice pudding for their energy needs besides eating other gluten free dietary foods.