Making mayonnaise at home is an easy process, besides you have an advantage of adding flavor and other ingredients as per your choice. It is a healthier option as against processed mayonnaise brought from the super markets. Almost all the ingredients that you require for making mayonnaise sauce are available in your kitchen cabinet. The most important part to remember for making a perfect mayonnaise is constant whisking. This you can do it by simply beating the sauce using a spoon or fork. You can also use a food processor or a blender for whisking it constantly.
Following are Simple Steps to Prepare Mayonnaise at Home
Ingredients that you need:
1 egg, salt as per your taste, 1 tsp of freshly ground mustard seeds, 1 cup vegetable oil such as olive oil or canola oil etc, 2 tsp of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Separate the yolk and egg white after you break the egg, because we want to use only egg yolk. Put it in a mixing bowl. Now add salt as per your taste and 1 tsp of powdered mustard seeds. Whisk all the ingredients till it becomes thick in consistency.
- Here comes the most important part; add oil drop by drop and keep continuously whisking the ingredient with the spoon or fork. The importance of adding canola or olive oil drop by drop in the beginning is to avoid curdling of mayo sauce.
- The next step is to add 2 tsp of lemon juice or cider vinegar. Keep continuous whisking while you add lemon juice. Lemon juice gives the tangy taste as well as the required acidic nature.
- As the emulsion becomes thicker add the oil a bit quickly.
- For a personal touch you can add herbs and spices as per your choice. You can also add orange or cranberry juice to make mayonnaise more interesting.
- Fill the prepared mayonnaise in a glass jar and keep it a fridge. Mayonnaise prepared in this way remains fresh for few days and you have to use it within a couple of days.
What are the Uses of Mayonnaise?
- Mayonnaise is used as a versatile dipping and spreading sauce in many culinary dishes.
- The thick and tangy taste compliments the main dish. It is used as a dip with onion rings and French fries.
- It is used to thicken the salad texture.
- Mayonnaise is a good hair conditioner. The vitamin E content and the oily nature of mayonnaise keep your hair smooth and silky.
- Apply mayo sauce on sunburn area. It helps to moisturize the affected skin and soothes the skin.
- Apply mayonnaise on the cracked finger nails and rinse after few minutes. It helps the cuticle to strengthen and prevent nail cracking.
- Besides, applying mayonnaises on house plants make them shine and gloss.
- The left over mayonnaise can be used for removing crayon and water color marks from furniture.
Health Benefits of Mayonnaise
- Though mayonnaise is considered to be abundant with oil, it is not harmful as the oil which is used is olive oil or canola oil. Both are rich sources of omega -3 fatty acids that are considered to be good for your heart.
- The vitamin E present in mayonnaise due to presence of egg can actually help in maintaining good heart and blood circulation.
- Besides mayonnaise also contains moderate amount of potassium, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K etc. It maintains the elasticity of the blood vessels.
- It protects women from stroke in their post menopause period.