Brown rice diet is one of the numerous diet plans that naturopaths and people believing in alternative therapies, advocate for cleansing and detoxifying the body. As the name suggests, the core substance that has to be consumed in the diet plan is brown rice. Since most of us consume white rice, it is necessary to throw some light on what brown rice is, and how it benefits our health. Brown rice is nothing but unpolished rice. Brown rice appears brown because of the outer brown layer called Bran that remains stuck to the rice grain.
Brown rice is rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Most of the nutritional values of brown rice remains preserved because the outer brown coating remains intact. Brown rice is rich source of vitamin B 2, niacin, B6, folates. The minerals present are iron, calcium, selenium, magnesium and manganese. Above all brown rice is a store house of fibers that helps to regularize bowel movement. Brown rice also contains essential amino acid; they are not manufactured in our body.
What is Brown Rice Diet Plan?
You may want to know how brown rice diet plan works. Brown rice contains exceptional amount of fibers that helps to keep your colon clean. The fiber present in brown rice absorbs and flushes out the pollutants, chemicals, pesticides and different toxins present in intestine and colon. In order to gain its optimum benefit, consume organically grown brown rice that has been cooked thoroughly. A well cooked brown rice is easy to digest.
Brown rice diet plan is high fiber diet plan. The diet plan is followed for 7 days. The diet plan can be made flexible as long as the correct fruits, vegetables and brown rice remain the core of your portion. You can consume all fruits other than banana. You can add variety of herbs and spices that include garlic, onions, ginger, chili, pepper etc. A teaspoon of olive oil or flaxseed oil is permissible while preparing vegetables with rice. Except corn, all vegetables can be consumed with brown rice. However, frozen items and tinned food is not referred.
Example of Brown Rice Diet Menu
Breakfast: An herbal tea, 1 cup warm water mixed with lemon juice, after 15 minutes any one fruit such as an apple or kiwi fruit or few strawberries, but no bananas. 1 cup steamed brown rice with few drops of lemon squeezed over it. To enhance the taste, you can add herbs and spices.
Lunch: one bowl of steamed rice with steamed or boiled vegetables.
Snack: vegetable sticks, an herbal tea or ginger tea and one fruit.
Dinner: vegetable salad, 1 bowl of cooked brown rice and one fruit except banana.
There is no restriction on consumption of brown rice. However, you have to drink enough water since brown rice contains high amount of fibers. Fibers absorb lot of water.
Other Health Benefits of Brown Rice
- Brown rice is densely packed with fibers. Fibers help to keep you full for a longer time and you are not tempted to eat unhealthy snacks. Besides, fiber allows healthy bowel movement. It helps to eradicate the toxins and waste material from the colon and intestine. It minimizes the risk of colon cancer. This is the reason brown rice is considered as a healthy detox diet.
- Selenium present in brown rice also helps in preventing cancer of colon.
- Presence of fibers in brown rice helps to lower the LDL cholesterol. It reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and thus the eventual hypertension looming after few years.
- The antioxidants present in brown rice are effective in dealing harmful free radicals.
- Brown rice contains few amounts of calories. Eating brown rice keeps you full for more time. Both these properties make brown rice diet a healthy choice for losing weight.
- After brown rice diet, the persons himself feels more energetic, both mentally and physically.