Yohimbe is an evergreen tree and it is native of West African countries such as Congo, Nigeria, and Cameroon. Yohimbe bark is famous for its aphrodisiac properties and used by many people since many centuries for enhancing sexual performance. It is useful natural herb for those suffering from erectile dysfunction. The bark of yohimbe has many other useful health benefits and natives used it to treat fever, coughs and cold, as a hallucinogen, and as an herbal anesthetic.
Yohimbe bark is generally harvested from May to September season. During this period the medicinal properties present in yohimbe bark are at its maximum.
Side Effects Of Yohimbe Bark
Though Yohimbe is popular herb for its enhancing libido value, one should not forget its side effect before consuming yohimbe bark extract. It is always better to consult your physician before consuming yohimbe, especially when you are taking medications or suffering from heart disease and blood pressure. Here are some of the side effects noted after taking yohimbe bark extract.
- Anxiety: children and adolescents should not use it because of its side effect such as anxiety.
- Mood disturbance.
- Raised blood pressure: if you have moderate to severe high blood pressure, you should not take yohimbe. It will further raise the blood pressure and that will be detrimental to your health.
- Yohimbe bark extract can cause inflammation of the abdominal organs such as gastritis.
- Headache: as the alkaloid yohimbine increases blood circulation, there may be congestion in the head, resulting into heaviness and headache.
- Dizziness: a person may feel dizzy and he should not drive vehicles after taking yohimbe bark supplement.
- Visual disturbance.
- Vomiting and nausea.
- Raised body temperature.
- Increased amount of sweat: after taking yohimbe bark extract you may experience excessive sweating under your arms and over your head.
- Tremors of hands: fine tremors may be felt in hands and legs after stating yohimbe bark supplement. Rarely your lips too may shiver from tremors.
- Insomnia: after taking yohimbe bark supplement some people find difficulty to fall asleep. Or may wake up from sleep. Many times thoughts of events of whole past life keep him awake.
- Disagreeable metallic taste.
- Copious salivation.
- Skin flushing: sensation of heat in face.
Benefits Of Yohimbe Bark Extract
Yohimbe bark benefits are due to its alkaloid content namely yohimbine. The most common use of yohimbe bark supplement is for treating erectile dysfunction. Sexual problems, both in women and men due to certain antidepressant drugs can be relieved by taking yohimbe bark supplements.
The yohimbe bark extracts probably acts on the physical as well as psychological aspect in a person suffering from impotence. It increases the blood circulation in the genital area and thus stimulates the nerves leading to erection. However, more research needs to be carried out regarding the definite action.
It enhances sexual performance and desire in men as well as women as it acts as a stimulant. It excites sexual organs and combines its action at the circulatory, nervous and genital level.
Yohimbe bark supplement is also known to enhance the mood.