Wheatgrass shots, as you have rightly thought is small amount of wheatgrass juice obtained from young and tender wheat plant. Though there is no satisfactory clinical data or research to support the benefits of wheatgrass shot for various ailments but the proponents of wheatgrass believe it to be an excellent oral nutritional supplement.
Wheatgrass shot is packed with high concentration of minerals, vitamins, chlorophyll, and enzymes found in its natural form. A wheatgrass shot, or an ounce of wheatgrass juice is densely packed with vitamins and other nutrients at par or rather more than any of the dark greens that you eat normally.
Health Benefits Of Wheatgrass Juice
Having said so, let us know how wheat grass benefits you in health and while you are sick. Wheatgrass shot (approximately one ounce or two ounce of concentrated wheatgrass juice) is dark green in color. The rich dark green color is due to high content of chlorophyll in the plant.
- During our science classes, we have come across chlorophyll, a pigment that gives rich green color to the plant. Chlorophyll is said to be the best aid in solving all your digestive problems. Most of your gastrointestinal problems can be treated by improving your digestion and food assimilation.
- Chlorophyll present in wheatgrass helps to cleanse your colon. If you are experiencing constipation, taking a shot of wheatgrass will aid in regulating the bowel movement.
- If you are anemic, drinking chlorophyll packed dark green wheatgrass shot once in a day, helps to rebuild and replenish the red blood cells. You may feel less tired and more energetic after consuming a wheatgrass shot. The best time to take wheatgrass shot is early in the morning, on empty stomach.
- Chlorophyll in wheatgrass shot also eliminates bad breath from your mouth, strong odor from urine, stool and infected wounds. In a way it detoxifies your body system.
- Chlorophyll in wheatgrass shot is known to poses bactericidal properties. It can kill the germs by strengthening the oxygen supply in and around the infected tissue; it creates an atmosphere where the germs cannot survive. Wheatgrass shot can be topically applied over cuts and wounds for quick healing.
- Besides chlorophyll, wheatgrass shots are packed with vitamin C, E, beta carotene, protein. Minerals found in wheatgrass shots are Magnesium, calcium, potassium, and of course iron.
- Due to vitamin C and vitamin E, it acts as a good anti aging agent. Regular consumption of wheatgrass shots keeps your skin elastic, smooth and supple, while your hairs more dense and dark, less salt and peppery.
- Proponents of wheatgrass shots claim its benefit in lessening menstrual cramps and other menses related problems. They also suggest it to be beneficial in reducing the risk of heart disease, prostate cancer, diabetes, eczema, psoriasis, acne, chronic fatigue etc.
Wheatgrass Shots Side Effects
Many people take wheatgrass shot in one gulp, while few people find it unpalatable. For this reason, in juice bars wheatgrass shot is mixed with other juices or smoothie. Wheatgrass supplement is available in tablets and powder form, besides the liquid. Those who find the taste unpalatable can take it in tablet form, one tablet per day or as suggested by an herbal medicine specialist.
- Generally there are very few side effects noted of this healthy green potion, however, it may be possible to feel nauseous on taking excess of wheatgrass shots, after a meal. So the best time is early in the morning on empty stomach.
- Diarrhea and bloating are other two side effects often experienced by some individuals in the beginning.
- Wheatgrass shots can stain your stain your teeth. So as soon as you consume wheatgrass juice, you should brush your teeth.
- Headaches and dizziness are experienced by few people drinking wheatgrass juice.