Wheatgrass is considered as a nature’s gift for maintaining human well being. Though wheatgrass and its health benefits are known since 60 to 70 years in America, it has become popular in recent times all over the world. Wheatgrass is young grass shoot of common wheat plant and comparing with any other green leafy vegetable, wheatgrass is much more enriched with wide range of vitamins and minerals. Unfortunately, wheatgrass is not easily available as any other vegetable; however it is sourced in the form of wheatgrass juice, wheatgrass powder and tablets.
Wheatgrass juice has become famous among masses and nowadays it is available in most juice bars. Wheatgrass juice is also mixed with other vegetable juices and served as an energy drink. The main natural ingredient of wheatgrass juice is chlorophyll, besides vitamin B-complex and vitamin A, K, C, and E. The juice also contains proteins and important minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, selenium, calcium, potassium etc. Juice of wheatgrass is easily absorbed in the body and thus natural vitamins are easily available to the body cells.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Wheatgrass?
Here are some of the health benefits of wheatgrass juice:
- It is a great energizer. Drinking a glass of wheatgrass juice reduces fatigue instantly as the juice gets readily absorbed in the body.
- A glass of wheatgrass juice in early morning helps you to remain energetic throughout the day.
- As wheatgrass is a rich source of antioxidants, it acts upon the damaging free radicals in the body and rejuvenate the cells. Thus wheatgrass juice is effective in reducing aging process. It may prevent premature skin wrinkling and graying of hairs.
- The juice of wheatgrass is useful to cure acne and pimples.
- Drinking wheatgrass juice regularly helps in formation of red blood cells and allows good blood circulation. It is useful natural vegetable drink in curing anemia.
- It acts on body toxins and neutralizes them. It also cleanses vital organs such as kidney, liver and urinary system.
- Drinking wheatgrass juices helps to keep your blood pressure under control.
- Proponents of wheatgrass juice also claim its effective value in cancer preventive activities.
- The high chlorophyll content in wheatgrass lowers the rate colon cancer.
- Wheatgrass juice is especially valuable when a patient is taking cancer treatment such as chemotherapy. Regular consumption of wheatgrass juice during this period helps to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy, without compromising with its benefits.
- Due to its alkaline nature, wheatgrass juice is beneficial in acid peptic disorders.
- It also prevents premature graying of hairs and delays its onset.
Side Effects Of Wheatgrass Juice
The side effects of wheatgrass juice are mild if at all present.
- Nausea: many people may feel nauseated after drinking wheatgrass juice, especially when combined with other juices. The sensation is also present when wheatgrass juice is consumed soon after your meal. It is necessary to know that wheatgrass should be consumed early in the morning or on empty stomach as it does not blend well with other foods.
- Diarrhea: some people may complain of diarrhea after drinking wheatgrass juice in excess or for the first time.
- Headache: it is another side effect noted after drinking wheatgrass juice. Nevertheless, many believe it to be a detoxification effect on the body. Headache and nausea are the results when the body tries to eliminate the toxins such as heavy metals, metabolic wastes etc. The headache and nausea gradually reduces once the toxins are eliminated from the body.
- Those who are allergic to wheat should avoid wheatgrass juice. It may cause severe allergic reaction.