Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is a disease characterized by excruciating pain on one side or at some rare times both sides of the face. People over 50 years of age, especially women fall prey to this disease. The human body is connected to the brain with 12 pairs of cranial nerves. The trigeminal nerve is the fifth cranial nerve of the body and connects the face with the brain.The nerve has three branches which transmit sensations like pain,touch, temperature, pressure from the lower, middle and upper regions of the face including the oral cavity to the brain.
What Causes Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Trigeminal neuralgia is usually triggered when the myelin sheath or the protective coating of the trigeminal nerve gets worn out. The coating may wear away due to compression of the nerve by the blood vessel entering the brain stem. At times, diseases like multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, and Lyme can cause the myelin sheath to get eroded. A person may also contract this disease when the nerve gets pressed by a tumor or due to an injury inflicted duringa surgery (sinus or oral) or as an aftermath to diseases like stroke or facial palsy.
Trigeminal Neuralgia Symptoms
The biggest symptom of trigeminal neuralgia is a sudden surge of unbearable pain on the face which may last from a few seconds to several minutes. It may start from a small area around the eyes, lips, scalp, cheeks, nose, or forehead and then spread.
Natural Ways To Treat Trigeminal Neuralgia Pain
Trigeminal Neuralgia can be cured with ancient home remedies. Some of these include
- Electro acupuncture: This treatment is close to acupuncture, but involves passing small voltage electric power between pairs of acupuncture needles.
- Comfrey Root Tincture: This simple herbal remedy can be very helpful. Here’s what you need to do: Take a cotton pad and put some comfrey root tincture drops. Apply the pad to the painful side of the face. Usually the pain subsides in 10 minutes of using the tincture. After applying it for a few days, the pain vanishes forever.
- Reflexotherapy: Reflexotherapy is a therapy which can cure this disease completely. It involves a few massage sessions. However, this method of treatment has to be embraced as a part of our lifestyle.
- Herbal Remedies: Some simple herbal remedies that can cure you of this disease include:
- Inhale five drops of chamomile and mint oil every day.
- A 30 minute Danewort bath for 3 consecutive nights can be very helpful.
The above mentioned home remedies do not have any side effects whatsoever. So they can be safely tried to bid goodbye to this crippling pain.