Sweet oil is another name for olive oil. Since ancient times olive oil is used for pharmaceutical purposes. Minimal processing is required for the production of olive oil. Olive oil contains antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamins A and E and amino acids. These are preserved in oil due to minimum processing. Hence olive oil has additional health benefits.
Earache is one of the most troubling ailments. Earache can be due to ear infection caused by bacteria, virus or fungi. Earache can also occur due to impacted ear wax. Otitis media is an infection of an inner ear and otitis externa is an infection of ear canal also known as swimmer’s ear.
Sweet oil is available at the pharmacy. It is available in small bottles. It is unrefined hence cannot be used for cooking. One can also buy high quality extra virgin olive oil from health food stores. Store the oil in cool place and in dark colored bottle to avoid it from spoiling.
Sweet oil relieves ear pain. It softens the ear wax. It lubricates the chunks of ear wax. This facilitates the movement of hardened ear wax out of the ear canal. It acts as a lubricant but does not cause heavy residue. It is also used in swimmer’s ear. It helps to remove excess water from ear and prevents problems that occur due to trapped water in ears.
How To Use Sweet Oil For Earaches?
- Take a sterile dropper bottle of dark color and fill it with sweet oil.
- Warm the oil by keeping the bottle in the pan containing warm water.
- Test the temperature of oil by putting two drops of oil on the side of the wrist.
- Tilt your head to one side keeping the painful ear on the upper side and put two to three drops in the ear.
- Remain in that position for some time to prevent the oil from coming out. You can also keep cotton ball in the ear to prevent oil from coming out.
Sweet Oil For Earaches Precautions
- Do not use sweet oil in the ears before checking its temperature.
- Get your ear examined by E.N.T specialist before putting oil in the ear, as oil in the ear may obstruct the doctor’s view while examining the ear.
- Do not use sweet oil in the ear if there is any discharge from the ear or if there is rupture of the ear drum.
- If the pain is severe or if pain is associated with fever, consult the doctor immediately.
- Some doctors advise that one should not put any oil in the ear to treat earache.