Sleep disorder is a condition which causes your sleep to be disturbed. It is an ailment which affects people at some point in their lives. Anyone at any age can develop this affliction. Depending on the cause, sleep disturbances can be short-term or long-term.
Though the condition is not life threatening, it can severely impact our lifestyle and temperament. In due course it may cause several side effects, thereby triggering the onset of other diseases.
Symptoms Of Sleep Disorders
Sleep disorder is characterized by certain marked symptoms. Some of these include inability to fall asleep, inability to resume sleep, and inability to sleep at one stretch.
- Sleepy and irritable feeling during the day.
- Difficulty in staying awake while reading or watching television.
- Fall asleep while driving or working.
- Difficulty in concentrating.
- Extreme and unexplained fatigue.
- Finding it hard to control your emotions.
- Badly require caffeinated beverages to keep yourself going.
What Are The Causes Of Sleep Disorders?
Sleep disorders are cause by many conditions, and diseases. Some of these include:
- Insomnia or inability to fall or remain asleep. It is commonly triggered by stress, jet lag, hormonal problems, too much anxiety, or digestive problems. It can also happen as a prelude to a serious disease.
- Sleep disorders also happen because of bed wetting. Children are mostly prone to this. Even adults may suffer this tendency because of urinary tract infection.
- People afflicted with restless leg syndrome (RLS) tend to lose their sleeps a bit too frequently. This is because of an irresistible urge to move your legs.
- Other causes of sleep disturbance include sleep apnea i.e. breathing interruptions during your sleep, allergies, teeth grinding, snoring, frequent urination as in diabetes, fibromyalgia, and nightmares.
Natural Ways To Treat Sleep Disorders
Doctors believe sleep disorders can best be treated by self-care. This can be very helpful, as it remedies the disease naturally and helps to cure the affliction permanently.
- Shed excess weight: Loss in weight helps to relieve constriction of throat. This can cure sleep apnea as it is primarily caused by unhealthy weight. Adopting a weight-loss program is arguably the best way to lose weight.
- Light exercise: If you are suffering from sleep disorders because of sleep apnea, then light exercises like brisk walk, can help you get rid of the problem.
- If the problem is caused due to snoring, use a saline nasal spray to keep your nasal passages open when you sleep. You can also try out sleeping on your side or abdomen rather than on your back.
- If you are alcoholic, you must slowly give up the addiction. Likewise stop smoking if you happen to be a smoker.
- Certain medications such as sleeping pills and tranquilizers should also be avoided at all costs.
Other effective ways include, using a dental guard to stop teeth grinding, decreasing consumption of water in the evening, cutting down in caffeine intake, addressing allergy or cold and having a regular sleeping schedule.