How To Treat Poison Oak In The Mouth? Poison Oak Allergy Symptoms

Poison oak also referred to as poison ivy or sumac, contains oil called urushiol. This oil is an allergen and can lead to rash or an allergic reaction in the body. Poison oak in the mouth can lead to a wide array of symptoms ranging from blisters to hives and severe itching on the face. The condition needs to be treated promptly in order to prevent an anaphylactic shock.

While in most cases, poison oak can be treated at home; there are some instances of severe allergic reaction which may need hospitalization.

This article provides relevant information about how to identify poison oak allergy and how to treat the condition promptly.

Symptoms Of Allergic Reaction To Poison Oak

Poison oak contains an oil- urushiol which acts as an allergen and results in formation of allergic rash all over the body. The allergic rash is usually caused when a person comes in contact with any object which was in contact with the plant like pet fur, clothing, gardening tools, sports gear, etc. In some cases, ingestion of poison oak can also lead to similar set of symptoms. The common symptoms associated with poison oak include,

  • Itching all over the skin, especially the part of the skin which had come in contact with the plant.
  • Blisters and hives on the skin which may contain blister filled fluid.
  • Swelling of the mouth, neck, face and eyelids may be observed when poison oak comes in contact with mouth. The swelling may be so potent that it may prevent the eyes from opening up.

In general the symptoms may appear within 8 to 48 hours on coming in contact with the plant, but in some cases may be delayed to as much as 15 days.

On the first contact, rash may take as much as seven days to show, but on subsequent contacts, rash may appear within one to two days after the contact.

How To Treat Poison Oak In The Mouth?

Coming in contact with Poison oak is usually not very serious condition and can be managed promptly at home. Here are a few simple tips that can be useful in alleviating the symptoms and their severity,

  • A soap water bath is considered to help remove the allergen and also prevent it from entering into the skin. It is recommended that the soap bath within 30 minutes of exposure is most useful.
  • Local application of oatmeal is considered useful in reducing itching and also soothes the skin. Oatmeal bath is recommended.
  • Raw honey has strong healing properties and can help in treating rash when directly applied on to the skin.
  • Aloe Vera gel is also equally beneficial as it soothes the skin and prevents the allergen to spread to other parts of the body.

Wet compress can also be useful as it helps in reduce the rash. Cool or lukewarm water helps reduce inflammation at the site and alleviates the symptoms. It is also recommended that you avoid scratching as scratching can cause increase the risk of the allergen spreading quickly to surrounding sites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*