Marine extract also referred to as Marine Pine Bark Extract, is a nutritional and dietary supplement which is sold in the market. Marine extract is loaded with anti-oxidants and has potential health promoting benefits.
Marine extract is derived from pinus pinaster, a marine plant which has been traditionally used for medicine purpose. This extract is currently available in the market as a dietary supplement. A recent study in the Journal of Ethnophramacology published a review of the various health benefits of marine extract. Though there are several medical conditions for which the extract may be used, lack of randomized controlled clinical trials on humans considerably limits the scientific evidence.
Health Benefits Of Marine Pine Bark Extract
The most important active ingredient of marine extract is pycnogenol, which is primarily responsible for the wide ranging health benefits of the extract. Some of the biological advantages of the extract include,
- Antioxidant: Marine extract acts primarily as an anti-oxidant which is largely attributed to the activity of pycnogenol. In studies conducted in rats, it was observed that the antioxidant was beneficial in management of reperfusion injury following a myocardial infarction.
- Anti-inflammatory activity: Marine extract has a strong anti-inflammatory property. As per studies conducted in human volunteers, it was observed that pycnogenol inhibited the COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes, thereby acting as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Anti- microbial and anti viral activity: The marine extract is considered to be protective against virus and bacteria. This is one of the reasons which the extract is used as a natural preservative and also is considered to be a promising agent in the management of viral myositis in HIV patients.
- Marine extract also stimulates the production of nitric oxide sythase from the endothelial cells of the body.
Marine Extracts For Hair And Skin Care
Marine extract is loaded with anti-oxidants which makes it potentially beneficial agent for averting the signs of aging like wrinkles and crowfeet.
Marine extract is also considered useful in the management of wide range of skin ailments including acne, dermatitis, eczema, etc due to its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Marine Extracts For Hair
Marine extract is also beneficial to management of a wide range of hair and scalp conditions. When used in combination with vitamin C (which protects the scalp from infections) and vitamin E which nourishes the scalp tissue, marine extract can actually stimulate the growth of new hair follicles. Experts suggest that the use of marine extract can convert the hair follicles from the resting phase (Telogen phase) to the growing phase (Anagen phase).
Some of the potential benefits of marine extract for hair include the following,
- Marine extract plays a crucial role in nourishing the various hair follicles.
- Strengthens the hair and stimulates the growth of new hair.
- Makes the hair look more vibrant and helps in management of split ends and other hair problems.
- Reduces dandruff and scaling of the scalp and improves overall scalp health.