The aim of a detox is to get rid of harmful chemicals present in the body. These toxic elements enter the body through various avenues, for instance, the food we eat, medications we take, the water we drink and even through the air we breathe.
Though many people prefer a natural detox to filter out these toxins from the body, it is quite difficult to continue with it for a long period of time. A natural detox usually involves a customized diet, in which you have to stay off many foods for several weeks and have a diet which includes mostly raw fruits and vegetables and this at many times tends to be a major put-off.
Diet For Liver Cleansing Detox
Certain foods contain elements which are supposed to be great at cleansing the liver and keeping it healthy. Some of them include:
- Garlic – Rich in allicin and selenium, natural compounds which help clean the liver.
- Grapefruit – Rich in vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Beets and Carrots – Rich in beta-carotene and plant-flavonoids.
- Green Tea – Rich in catechins (plant antioxidants).
- Leafy Green Vegetables – Rich in chlorophyll.
- Avocados – Rich in nutrients.
- Apples – Rich in pectin.
- Whole Grains – Rich in B-complex vitamins and nutrients.
- Cruciferous Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower) – Rich in glucosinolate.
- Lemons & Limes – Rich in vitamin C.
- Walnuts – Rich inarginineamino acid.
- Cabbage – Rich in enzymes.
- Turmeric – One of the best for liver detoxification.
Foods which need to be avoided include- meat, milk, dairy products and all processed foods.
Natural Homemade Liver Detox Liquid Diet
Another method of naturally detoxing the body involves a “rigid liquid” only diet. This method suggests intake of plenty of water and fruit juices. These fluids are believed to dilute the concentration of toxic elements and eventually flush them out of the system.
Some recommended drinks for a natural detox are as follows:
- Lemon tea made by squeezing half a lemon into a cup of hot water.
- Milk thistle.
- Herbal teas made of ingredients like, ginger, black pepper, dandelion, licorice, and milk thistle, for instance.
These liquids are believed to help in digestion and encourage enzyme production and secretion.
Though detox diets and regimes vary, they are usually preceded or followed by a period of fasting. Fasting is supposed to aid in flushing out of harmful toxins.
Side Effects Of Liver Detox
Irrespective of the method of detoxification, it is always advisable to work with a health professional because any kind of fad diet continued for a prolonged period of time can give rise to serious health conditions.
This is more so for people with chronic medical conditions and pregnant women. Adopting a liver detox without proper consultation may prove disastrous for these people.
- Another method of detoxification involves a process called colon cleansing. This cleanse can lead to side effects such as nausea, vomiting, cramping, dehydration and bloating.
- Even healthy people need to be very careful before starting a liver detox regime, because such diets severely limit intake of protein. Also, fasting over prolonged period can result in fatigue and vitamin and mineral deficiency.