For an adult it is a compliment when someone says ‘you are hot’, but here we are talking about the hard fact, raised body temperature or fever as we commonly address it. Almost all adults sometime in their life may have suffered from fever. But remember, fever in itself is not an illness; it is a symptom of a disease. In fact it is one of the body’s defense mechanism against an infection.
Fever can be mild or it can be severe. Adults seek different way to break a fever. But first thing is to know about fever, the normal and abnormal body temperature.
The normal body temperature fluctuates widely, in the morning it is less but in evening it slightly increases. Although 98.6 degree Fahrenheit (F) temperature is considered normal, this number is not etched in stone. Excess clothing, food, emotional excitement or exercise can increase temperature. So to make the matter simple, if the temperature is 99 degree to 100 degree F, consider it to be a possibility of fever. If the temperature rises above 100 degree, it is fever.
Fever is a symptom of an underlying problem; usually it is an indication that the body is fighting infection. Fever is often accompanied with other distressing symptoms such as sweating, shivering, headache, body pain, thirst, flushed skin, nausea and diarrhea. If you feel the need for extra relief, here are few steps to break a fever.
How To Break A Fever Naturally In Adults?
Usually mild fever does not require any treatment unless the person is feeling too uncomfortable. If the fever is 102 degree F or high,
- Take antipyretic medication to reduce fever. Always take medications as directed by the physician.
- Lukewarm water compresses helps to reduce body’s temperature. When the person starts feeling uncomfortably hot, or if the temperature rises more than 103 degree F, use cool tap water sponging to reduce fever.
- Person should wear loose fitting clothes and light cover blanket. Wearing too much clothing or woolen clothing will raise the temperature of body. If the person feels chilly an extra blanket covering may be useful until the chill has subsided.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Often with high fever the body sweats a lot. It is a natural mechanism of body to cool down itself. However, too much of sweating can result in dehydration. Also with high fever the body turns off its sweat duct to forestall further loss. It makes the matter worse to cope with fever. Drink at least 10 glasses of water and juices in a day when you have fever. Fruit and vegetable juices contain vitamins and minerals. Carrot and beet juice are high nutrient value.
- Some herbs are also beneficial in reducing high body temperature. Black elder tea is preferable. It helps to sweat when the body closes the sweat glands in high fever. Boil this herb in water and let it steep for 10 minutes. Drink this tea two to three times in a day.
- Stay indoors and take rest when you have fever. Resting in air-conditioned room is more preferable.
- Raisins juice is found beneficial in bringing down the temperature. Boil few raisins in a cup of water. Allow the water to cool. Drink the water and eat remaining raisins.