Dark circles around the eyes develop due to dark blemishes around the eyes. Many factors are responsible for the development of dark circles. Dark circles are harmless. People want to treat them for cosmetic purpose.
Applying coconut oil is a very good, economical and effective way to reduce dark circles around the eyes. Coconut oil improves the elasticity of the skin. It helps to retain moisture of the skin when it is applied after the application of a moisturizer. Gentle massage with coconut oil will help tone up the skin around your eyes.
What Causes Dark Circles Around The Eyes?
- Heredity plays an important role in the development of dark circles. Skin around our eyes is very thin. Thus blood vessels lying close to the skin surface give bluish tint under the eyes. It is more prominently seen in fair people. People in whom eye sockets are prominent may show dark circles due to shadowing effect. People having more transparent skin may have dark circles.
- Aging is one factor that contributes to development of dark circles.
- Medications which are vasodilators may cause dark circles due to thin skin around the eyes.
- Eye allergy may lead to dark circles due to frequent itching of eye lids.
- Anemic people tend to develop dark circles around the eyes due to iron deficiency.
- Excessive workload leading to stress, insomnia and fatigue will cause dark circles.
- Liver disease. Dark circle around the eyes is one of the symptoms of liver disease.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Circles Under The Eyes
- Get yourself examined by a doctor. Blood test can be done to rule out anemia. If anemia is detected one can take iron supplements.
- Take a balanced healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals. Take vitamin supplements if needed. Vitamin B12 is important for preventing dark circles.
- Avoid stress. Practice meditation and relaxation techniques. Take proper rest every day. Rest will rejuvenate your whole body and it will also help reduce dark circles.
- Sleep at least for eight hours. Treat insomnia promptly. Meditation and “Shavasan” before bedtime will help you relax and get sound sleep. If necessary consult doctor who may prescribe sedative medicine.
- If dark circles are due to an eye allergy, take precautions to prevent allergic attacks. Avoid rubbing your eyes vigorously. Avoid places or substances to which you may be allergic.
- Apply moisturizer under the eyes to keep the area well hydrated.
- Drink plenty of water. Drink at least eight to ten glasses of water in a day.
- Quit smoking. Smoking affects our blood vessels adversely and makes them appear more bluish.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated products in large quantities or before bedtime as it affects your sleep adversely.
- Give a gentle massage or acupressure around the eyes to improve circulation in that area.
- Apply coconut oil at bedtime and keep it overnight and in the morning wash your face with mild soap and water.