For over centuries, barley grains were used to prepare bread and beer. However recent research findings have shown that barley grass along with its essential blood cell building properties has also been found to be extremely effective in enhancing the immunity and has protective action against development of cancer.
Barley grass juice is relatively more palatable and easier to consume, compared to wheatgrass juice that is also popular for its several health benefits.
Health Benefits Of Barley Grass And Juice
There is various health benefits associated with the regular consumption of Barley grass juice.
- Cancer: Barley grass is considered beneficial in the management of a wide range of cancerous conditions including breast cancer, non Hodgkin’s lymphoma, prostate cancer and uterine cancer.
- Barley grass is also considered beneficial in the management of chronic conditions like multiple sclerosis.
- It hastens the recovery of a fracture and improves bone healing. It is also considered beneficial in reducing pain associated with fractures.
- Its role in improving blood count and management of anemia has already been well established. It acts as a natural detox agent for blood and helps purify blood.
- It is considered effective in the management of varicose veins.
- Its ability to reduce inflammation has found it to be effective in the treatment of arthritis and respiratory congestion. It is considered to be an efficient natural medicine for the management of asthma.
- It improves muscular functions and hence enhances athletic performance.
- It has been found to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood and thereby contribute in management of a wide range of cardiac ailments including atherosclerosis.
- It is also considered beneficial in enhancing libido and sexual performance.
In general, barley grass juice is considered beneficial in instilling a sense of wellbeing and enhancing overall vitality of an individual.
Nutritional Facts Of Barley Grass
The health benefits of barley grass are attributed to its high concentration of vitamins and minerals, which are an integral part of the human diet. Some of the essential minerals include calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, zinc, manganese and potassium. In addition, barley grass is loaded with Vitamin A in the form of beta carotene, Vitamin B complex including Vitamin B1, B2 and B6. In addition it is loaded with Vitamin C.
Barley Grass contains about ten times of calcium present in milk, about four times higher concentration of iron in spinach and six times more Vitamin C as available in oranges. Further, barley grass is about eighty milligrams of Vitamin B12 per 100 grams.
Side Effects Of Barley Grass
Available information about contraindications for the use of barley grass has yet not been identified. Though there is inadequate information about the safety of the use of barely grass during pregnancy and lactation, it is often suggested to avoid the use of barley grass during these stages.
Though hypersensitivity of barely grass is often associated with seeds, in some cases, individuals with celiac disease and gluten intolerance may manifest symptoms like diarrhea, abdominal pain and colic. It is recommended that individuals with celiac disease avoid the use of barley grass juice.
In general however, no information regarding the toxicity of barley grass is available.