Bacopa monnieri is a perennial creeper plant which has thick and succulent leaves, with tiny white flowers having four to five petals. It grows in marshy lands of South Asian countries namely India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and China. It is also found in Hawaii and some regions of Florida. In India it is used as an ayurvedic medicine since centuries. Adults and children alike use it as an Ayurvedic medicine for enhancing memory and other brain functions.
Bacopa monnieri is the botanical name of the plant, though it is commonly called as Thyme leaf gratiola, or water hyssop or Brahmi by many.
Health Benefits Of Bacopa Monnieri
According to recent studies and trials conducted, bacopa’s primary action on brain functions, specially related to learning skill and memory is well supported, which traditional medical practitioners claimed since centuries.
Let us know some of the benefits of bacopa:
- Memory enhancer: bacopa supplement have confirmed its beneficial effect in enhancing memory, especially in children.
- Since centuries bacopa is used as traditional medicine to treat epilepsy. Proponents of traditional medicine claim bacopa can effectively control and reduce the number of convulsive episodes in a person suffering from epilepsy.
- Bacopa supplements have shown to reduce the level of anxiety as well as mental fatigue.
- It is considered as a good nervine tonic.
- Patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and other age related brain cell dysfunction have shown better response after taking bacopa extract.
- Bacopa in asthma: as bacopa helps in bronco dilatation, it is effective in Asthma.
- Bacopa supplement is effective in depression and stress.
- Though there is no perfect study performed with respect to stomach ulcers, proponents of bacopa believe it helps in curing stomach ulcer.
- It is also used as a laxative by many traditional medical practitioners.
Side Effects Of Bacopa Extract
- Bacopa is used safely as an ayurvedic medicine since centuries. However minor side effects such as nausea, vomiting, headaches, and abdominal cramps may be experienced by few people.
- Bacopa is known to cause increased bleeding in people suffering from bleeding disorders. It is always better to avoid taking bacopa supplements few weeks before surgery or before extracting tooth.
- Use of bacopa supplements can alter the glucose and insulin in the blood. People taking diabetic medicine or insulin should always consult their doctor before taking bacopa extract.
- It may lower the blood pressure, patient may feel dizzy, and palpitation in rare cases.
- Muscle fatigue may be experienced as one of the side effects.